- Title: Hamas condemns Soleimani killing
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (JANUARY 03, 2020) (REUTERS) HAMAS SPOKESPERSON HAZEM QASSEM IN HIS OFFICE QASSEM'S FACE WHILE LOOKING AT HIS PHONE HAMAS SPOKESMAN WRITING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HAMAS SPOKESPERSON HAZEM QASSEM , SAYING: "The Islamic resistance movement Hamas condemn the crime that was done by the United States of America, by assassinating the Iranian Major military Commander Qassem Soleimani who had a prominent and manifest role to support the Palestinian issue and resistance. This crime expresses the American debauchery in the region and a violation of the sovereignty of Arab countries. It is a way to stir discord and tension in the region to serve the interests of the Zionist enemy." HAMAS LOGO QASSEM WORKING IN OFFICE
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 11:03
- Keywords: Gaza Hamas Iran Iraq Israel Soleimani assassination
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUMBPL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hamas condemned on Friday (January 3) the killing of Iranian Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani and sent its "dearest condolences" to Iran.
Soleimani was a general who was regarded as the second most powerful figure in Iran after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The overnight attack in Baghdad, authorized by President Donald Trump, marked a dramatic escalation in a "shadow war" in the Middle East between Iran and the United States and its allies, principally Israel and Saudi Arabia.
Top Iraqi militia commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, an adviser to Soleimani, was also killed in the attack.
Hamas, which has long enjoyed financial and military support from Tehran, said the killing of Soleimani was an "American debauchery in the region and a violation of the sovereignty of Arab countries."
"It is a way to stir discord and tension in the region to serve the interests of the Zionist enemy," Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem said from Gaza.
Gaza-based Hamas official Bassem Naim wrote on Twitter that the assassination "opens the doors of the region to all possibilities, except calm & stability. USA bears the responsibility for that."
Israel has long regarded Soleimani as a major threat. In August last year the military said it had foiled a Quds Force attack, administered by Soleimani, involving multiple drones from Syria. It accused him of leading Quds Force efforts to establish a precision-guided missiles program for Hezbollah.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji/Arafat Barbakh/Nehad Khalil)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None