- Title: LGBT community joins citizenship protest in India
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (JANUARY 3, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF LGBT COMMUNITY MEMBERS RAISING SLOGANS (Urdu): "WE WANT FREEDOM FROM CAA" AND CLAPPING VARIOUS OF LGBT COMMUNITY MEMBERS MARCHING AND CLAPPING LGBT COMMUNITY MEMBERS MARCHING WITH BANNER POSTER READING (English): 'MUSLIM LIVES MATTER #NONRC #NOCAA' VARIOUS OF LGBT COMMUNITY MEMBERS RAISING SLOGANS (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED LGBT MEMBER, SAYING: "It is a protest of queer persons, trans-persons, women, anybody who feels that they have been affected by this particular piece of legislation or a series of legislations which completely disenfranchises citizens of this country." LGBT COMMUNITY MEMBERS RAISING SLOGANS AND WAVING LGBT FLAG VARIOUS OF LGBT COMMUNITY MEMBERS MARCHING WITH BANNERS
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 14:57
- Keywords: Citizenship Amendment Act India transgender community
- Location: KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- City: KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUMBV4F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT IS IN HIGH DEFINITION
LGBT community members and sex workers of India's eastern Kolkata city took out a march against a religion-based citizenship law on Friday (January 3).
LGBT community members and activists sang songs and raised slogans as they marched with colorful flags and placards protesting Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government.
The protests have rocked India since Dec. 12, when the government passed legislation easing the way for non-Muslim minorities from neighbouring Muslim-majority nations of Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan to gain Indian citizenship.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None