- Title: 'Barbaric, reprehensible' - Iraqi Shi'ite politician on U.S killing of Soleimani
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: BAGHDAD'S SADR CITY, IRAQ (JANUARY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORSHIPPERS PRAYING POSTER ON BUILDING OF SHI'ITE CLERIC MOQTADA AL-SADR'S FATHER, MOHAMMAD MOHAMMAD SADEQ AL-SADR / PEOPLE PRAYING OUTSIDE IRAQI POLITICIAN AND FOLLOWER OF SADRIST MOVEMENT (MOVEMENT LED BY AL-SADR) HAKIM AL-ZAMILI, WALKING AMONG PEOPLE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) IRAQI POLITICIAN AND FOLLOWER OF SADRIST MOVEMENT, HAKIM AL-ZAMILI, SAYING: ''In fact what America has done, is a barbaric and reprehensible act, it contradicts and violates international norms and values, the attack on the Hashd al-Shaabi (PMF) and the killing of Haj Qassem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis. Al- Muhandis is considered to be the deputy head of the Hashd al-Shaabi (PMF committee) and that is linked to the Iraqi government and the security institution. Al-Sadr feels that this is a danger to the country, and America has plans, and these plans have already begun with the interference and the occupation of Iraq once again.'' NAJAF, IRAQ (JANUARY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) REPRESENTATIVE OF KHAMENEI IN IRAQ, MUJTABA AL-HUSSEINI, WALKING TO PODIUM FOR NEWS CONFERENCE POSTERS TO IRANIAN CLERGY MEN (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) REPRESENTATIVE OF KHAMENEI IN IRAQ, MUJTABA AL-HUSSEINI, SAYING: "We are sure that the Iraqi people are a jealous, protective people, and that this jealousy will drive them to act further, to move along the resistance fronts, to fight for their dignity and to protect the country and cleanse the country from the hands of the occupiers." AL-HUSSEINI LEAVING
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 17:57
- Keywords: General Soleimani Iran Iranian General Soleimani Iraq Shi'ite cleric U.S. Air strike
- Location: BAGHDAD AND NAJAF, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD AND NAJAF, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUMDV0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hakim Al-Zamili, an Iraqi politician and staunch supporter of the Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, condemned on Friday (January 3) the U.S. killing of top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi militia commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
After leading a prayer in Baghdad's Sadr city district, Al-Zamili said the overnight attack on a road leading to Baghdad International Airport, near the air cargo terminal, was "barbaric and reprehensible."
A representative for Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Iraq, Mujtaba Al-Hussein, urged Iraqis to intensify their resistance against the U.S. after the attack, which was authorised overnight by President Donald Trump.
The deaths of Soleimani and Al-Muhandis divided opinion in Iraq.
Many condemned the attacks, seeing Soleimani as a hero for his role in defeating Islamic State.
Others voiced approval, saying Soleimani and Muhandis had backed the use of deadly force against unarmed anti-government protesters last year and put in place the militias they blame for many of Iraq's social and economic woes.
However, many Iraqis criticised Washington for killing the men on Iraqi soil and possibly plunging the country into a war.
The attack followed a sharp increase in U.S.-Iranian hostilities last week, when pro-Iranian militiamen attacked the U.S. embassy in Iraq following a U.S. air raid on the Kataib Hezbollah militia, founded by Al-Muhandis.
Iraq's prime minister said that, with Friday's attack, Washington had violated a deal for keeping U.S. troops in his country.
(Production: Wisam Al-U'Kaili, Maher Nazeh, Mohammed Katfan, Hannah Ellison)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None