- Title: One dead and two wounded in knife attack near Paris - prosecutor
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: VILLEJUIF, FRANCE (JANUARY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE OFFICER CORDONING OFF A STREET NEAR SITE OF KNIFE ATTACK POLICE AND VEHICLES BEHIND POLICE LINE POLICE WALKING VARIOUS OF JUNIOR INTERIOR MINISTER LAURENT NUNEZ AND CRETEIL PROSECUTOR LAURE BECCUAU WALKING TOWARDS JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (French) PROSECUTOR FOR CITY OF CRETEIL, LAURE BECCUAU, SAYING: "Three victims - one dead, and two persons still being examined in different hospitals in the Val-de-Marne department, and another dead, who is the perpetrator." VEHICLES AT ROTUNDA NEAR ATTACK SITE (SOUNDBITE) (French) PROSECUTOR FOR CITY OF CRETEIL, LAURE BECCUAU, SAYING: "What we believe we know at the moment is that in his murderous rampage, the perpetrator attempted to attack other victims, who were able to evade him. And unfortunately, he got to three persons, one of whom has died, as I've told you." OFFICIALS WALKING ON ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (French) JUNIOR INTERIOR MINISTER, LAURENT NUNEZ, SAYING: "At this time, I would like to salute the quick response of Paris police personnel, especially the personnel of the anti-crime brigade of this area, who intervened very quickly, allowing the assailant to be neutralised immediately, preventing him from pursuing murderous rampage. This is an extremely courageous act, showing great responsiveness." POLICE, FIREFIGHTERS AND EMERGENCY WORKERS BEHIND SECURITY CORDON POLICE BEHIND CORDON POLICE AND EMERGENCY WORKERS POLICE LETTING POLICE CAR PASS THROUGH CORDON POLICE ON STREET EMERGENCY SERVICES VAN VARIOUS OF POLICE STANDING GUARD INSIDE HAUTES-BRUYERES PARK, WHERE PERPETRATOR ATTACKED PASSERS-BY AND INJURED THREE PEOPLE, ONE OF WHOM DIED LAMP POSTS INSIDE PARK POLICE STANDING BEHIND SECURITY CORDON INSIDE PARK
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 16:01
- Keywords: France attack Paris Villejuif knife attack prosecutor stabbing
- Location: VILLEJUIF, FRANCE
- City: VILLEJUIF, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUMDJYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French police shot dead a man near Paris on Friday (January 3) after he went on the rampage with a knife in a park, killing one person and wounding two more, a prosecutor said.
The attack happened in the town of Villejuif, about 8 km (5 miles) south of central Paris. Police cordoned off the area around the park, and the deputy head of the French interior ministry said police personnel were able to quickly neutralise the assailant.
After the attack, the perpetrator headed towards the direction of L'Hay-les-Roses, 200 meters from the park, and was neutralised by police.
The two injured victims are being treated in nearby hospitals, Laure Beccuau, the prosecutor whose office is handling the case, told reporters. She said witnesses were being interviewed to establish what happened. She declined to disclose details about the attacker.
In the past four years, the French capital has been rocked by major attacks resulting in mass casualties.
In October last year, four people were stabbed to death at the Paris police headquarters by an IT specialist working for the police. Prosecutors said that attacker, who was shot dead by police, had come under the sway of radical Islamists.
Coordinated bombings and shootings by Islamist militants in November 2015 at the Bataclan theater and other locations around Paris killed 130 people in the deadliest attacks in France since World War Two.
(Production: Antony Paone, Michaela Cabrera)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None