- Title: Condemnation, condolences in Lebanon after Soleimani killing
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: FIROUZNIA SITTING DOWN LAHOUD, FIROUZNIA AND OTHER OFFICIALS SITTING AT THE EMBASSY
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 16:18
- Keywords: Baghdad Hezbollah Iran Iraq Islam Lebanon Qassem Soleimani Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah U.S.
- Location: GHAZIEH AND BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: GHAZIEH AND BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA009BUMDF7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lebanese officials visited the Iranian embassy in Beirut on Friday (January 3) hours after a U.S. air strike killed top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani.
The officials, led by former president Emile Lahoud, offered their condolences to Iranian ambassador to Lebanon Jalal Firouznia.
During Friday prayers in the southern Lebanese city of Ghazi, one imam called on Hezbollah's leader Hasan Nasrallah to avenge the killing of Soleimani.
Iran promised harsh revenge after the U.S. air strike which killed Soleimani, a 62-year-old general who was regarded as the second most powerful figure in Iran after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The slain commander's Quds Force, along with paramilitary proxies from Lebanon's Hezbollah to Iraq's Popular Mobilisation Forces grouping of Iran-backed militias - battle-hardened militias armed with missiles - has ample means to respond.
(Production: Yara Abi Nader, Imad Creidi, Hassan Hankir, Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None