- Title: Pakistanis burn mock U.S. coffins in protest against Soleimani's killing
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: PROTESTERS HOLDING POSTERS OF SOLEIMANI PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER WITH PICTURES OF SOLEIMANI READING (Urdu) "DEATH TO AMERICA"
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 15:26
- Keywords: Iran Islam Islamabad Pakistan Qassem Soleimani U.S. coffins flags
- Location: ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- City: ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA002BUMDB9J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Protesters in Pakistan paraded and set alight mock coffins draped in U.S. flags to protest against the killing of top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani on Friday (January 3).
Chanting "Death to America" the protesters from a Pakistani Shi'ite political organisation paraded the coffins through the streets of the capital Islamabad before burning them.
The Pakistan Foreign Office issued a statement on Friday urging parties to "exercise maximum restraint" and to "engage constructively to de-escalate the situation, and resolve issues through diplomatic means."
Soleimani, a 62-year-old general, was regarded as the second most powerful figure in Iran after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The overnight attack, authorised by President Donald Trump, was a dramatic escalation in a "shadow war" in the Middle East between Iran and the United States and its allies, principally Israel and Saudi Arabia.
(Production: Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.