- Title: Palestinians in Gaza pay tribute to slain Iranian commander
- Date: 4th January 2020
- Summary: PEOPLE PAYING TRIBUTE AT MEMORIAL SERVICE, MEDIA AT MEMORIAL SERVICE
- Embargoed: 18th January 2020 12:27
- Keywords: Gaza Hamas Iran Iraq Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis U.S. air strike USA blast funeral for Iran's military chief Qassem Soleimani
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA005BURABLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians in Gaza paid tribute to slain Iranian Commander Qassem Soleimani at a memorial service on Saturday (January 4).
Hamas and Islamic Jihad- which have long enjoyed financial and military support from Tehran - condemned Soleimani's killing and sent its "dearest condolences" to Iran.
The National and Islamic groups called for supporters to gather in Gaza to pay their respects, as thousands of mourners gathered in Baghdad for the funeral procession for Soleimani, Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis and others killed in a U.S. air strike on Friday (January 3) in Iraq.
Hamas said Soleimani "had a senior role in supporting Palestinian resistance in all fields."
It extended "its dearest condolences to the Iranian leadership and the people of Iran at the martyrdom of Major General Qassem Soleimani."
Israel has long regarded Soleimani as a major threat. The military said in August it had foiled a Quds Force attack, masterminded by Soleimani that involved multiple drones operating from Syria.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji, Nehad Khalil, Abed Shanna)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None