- Title: Greek Orthodox Patriarch leads Bethlehem Christmas procession
- Date: 6th January 2020
- Summary: PATRIARCH CONVOY MEMBERS HOLDING CROSSES IN MANGER SQUARE
- Embargoed: 20th January 2020 12:27
- Keywords: Bethlehem Christmas Church of Nativity Greek Orthodox Manger Square Orthodox Patriarch tourists
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003BV1C0UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III, arrived at the West Bank city of Bethlehem on Monday (January 6), where he will celebrate Christmas according to the Eastern calendar by leading midnight mass at the Church of the Nativity.
Worshippers and pilgrims gathered outside the church, believed by Christians to be the birthplace of Jesus Christ, and enjoyed marching bands and a festive atmosphere while awaiting the patriarch's arrival. The Patriarch was greeted by religious clergy and Palestinian officials.
The Church of the Nativity is shared by various Eastern denominations including the ancient Assyrian Church, the Greek Orthodox, Armenian and the Coptic Church. Leaders from the various churches arrive every year at the church to kick off their Christmas Eve celebrations.
Annually and around the first week of January each year, the city of Bethlehem welcomes worshippers and pilgrims from around the world who follow the eastern calendar to celebrate Christmas in Bethlehem.
(Production: Nuha Sharaf, Mohammed Abu Ghaneyeh, Yusri Al-Jammal)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None