- Title: Scuffles erupt as Israeli army demolish Palestinian houses in South Hebron
- Date: 16th January 2020
- Summary: SOUTH HEBRON HILLS, WEST BANK (JANUARY 16, 2020) (REUTERS) ISRAELI ARMY SCUFFLING WITH PALESTINIANS TRYING TO PREVENT THE BULLDOZERS FROM DEMOLISHING STRUCTURES / SOLDIER PUSHING PALESTINIAN MAN ISRAELI SOLDIERS TRYING TO ARREST PALESTINIAN MAN SOLDIER HOLDING MAN ON THE GROUND, WOMAN SITTING NEXT THEM VARIOUS OF BULLDOZERS DEMOLISHING HOME ARMY JEEP ARRIVING TO SITE SOLDIER HOLDING MAN TO THE GROUND SOLDIERS PUTTING MAN IN JEEP AFTER BEING DETAINED, SOLDIER PUSHING WOMAN TRYING TO STOP THE ARMY FROM ARRESTING A MAN (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF SOUTH HEBRON HILLS, JADALLAH AL-RABIE, SAYING: "We arrived to the site when they started to demolish the area, we tried to talk to the officer but he refused to talk to us. I told him I need a paper from the court, he said we don't have a court (decision) paper. They started to push us and beat the women. They refused to hear us." BULLDOZERS DEMOLISHING A HOUSE WOMAN HANGING LAUNDRY FURNITURE THROWN OUTSIDE HOUSE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF THE HOUSE, AHLAM AL-RABIE, SAYING: "I begged them to stop demolishing but they started to beat us and evacuated us and the children. They also threw the furniture outside the house." MAN SCREAMING TOWARD ISRAELI ARMY ISRAELI SOLDIER BULLDOZER IN AREA BULLDOZER DEMOLISHING HOUSE
- Embargoed: 30th January 2020 13:59
- Keywords: Area C Israel Israeli army Palestinians bedouins demolish scuffles
- Location: SOUTH HEBRON HILLS, WEST BANK
- City: SOUTH HEBRON HILLS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BWFB2H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Israeli forces demolished two homes on Thursday (January 16) which the Israeli Civil Administration deemed to have been built illegally in the West Bank Hebron southern hills, local residents said.
Scuffles erupted between local residents and Israeli Army officers who punched several of the men they dragged away. Residents said two were detained.
The Israeli Civil Administration said in a statement it had "performed an enforcement activity regarding a building and structural foundations of a building in the area of Hebron that were built illegally, without the necessary permits. We will stress that the enforcement activity was performed in accordance with the authorities and the required procedures."
The family who owned the homes said that they were in the process of appealing to the Civil Administration to legalize the houses.
Area C, which makes up 60 percent of the West Bank, has been under complete Israeli military control since the mid-1990s.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji, Yusri Al-Jamal)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None