- Title: Emmanuel Macron meets Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah
- Date: 22nd January 2020
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (JANUARY 22, 2020) (AGENCY POOL) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS ARRIVING IN CAR / ABBAS GETTING OUT OF CAR / ABBAS HUGGING FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON / MACRON AND ABBAS POSING FOR CAMERAS ABBAS AND MACRON SHAKING HANDS IN MEETING ROOM ABBAS AND MACRON SHAKING HANDS AND SITTING DOWN VARIOUS OF MACRON AND ABBAS SEATED IN MEETING ROOM
- Embargoed: 5th February 2020 22:05
- Keywords: Abbas Macron Ramallah West Bank
- Location: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- City: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BX9BUIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron met with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Wednesday (January 22) in Ramallah, a city in the occupied West Bank, as part of his two day tour of Israel and the Palestinian territories.
Macron's meeting with Abbas took place amid high tensions in the region, and shortly after his meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem earlier on Wednesday.
Macron's visit to the region comes after Israeli soldiers killed three Palestinians at the Israel-Gaza border on Tuesday (January 22).
The Palestinian government are boycotting a peace initiative by U.S. President Donald Trump, and Netanyahu has made repeated pledges to annex Israel's settlements in the occupied West Bank.
France believes a two-state solution is the only viable option to end the conflict but Macron has ruled out recognising an independent Palestinian state, saying it would not serve peace efforts.
Macron last week played down any real prospect of renewing French efforts to push the peace process, stalled since 2014, saying it was not for him to dictate to either side.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None