- Title: Russian President meets his Palestinian counterpart
- Date: 23rd January 2020
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (JANUARY 23, 2020) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CONVOY OF RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN ARRIVING TO PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT'S OFFICE PUTIN LEAVING CAR, SHAKING HANDS WITH PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS PUTIN AND ABBAS WAVING TO CAMERAS PALESTINIAN SECURITY GUARDS PUTIN SHAKING HANDS WITH PALESTINIAN OFFICIALS / PUTIN AND ABBAS SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "Russian-Palestinian relations have long, deep roots. (PAUSES FOR TRANSLATION). We maintain relations in a wide range of areas. (PAUSES FOR TRANSLATION). You just mentioned them, (PAUSES FOR TRANSLATION) and we're ready to develop these relations. (PAUSES FOR TRANSLATION), this includes the economic and humanitarian spheres, and, of course, issues surrounding Arab-Israeli regulation." ABBAS DURING MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "I'm very pleased to have the opportunity to consult with you on all these issues, including the wider context, I mean the situation in the region on the whole." (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS, SAYING: "There are some regional issues that we need to discuss with the President (Putin), such as Israel's announcement to annex Palestinian land. Also, the deal of the century which Mr. Trump said will be published (ready) soon. We also to talk about this issue. Also we have the issue of the Palestinian presidential and parliament elections that we will inform the president about." RUSSIAN DELEGATION ABBAS AND PUTIN SHAKING HANDS THEN SITTING PUTIN DURING MEETING RUSSIAN AND PALESTINIAN PRESIDENTS MEETING
- Embargoed: 6th February 2020 19:29
- Keywords: Bethlehem Palestinian President Russian President West Bank peace deal
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BXE9WSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian President Vladimir Putin met with Palestinian counterpart Mahmoud Abbas on Thursday (January 23), in the occupied West Bank city of Bethlehem.
In remarks to reporters, Abbas said he and Putin needed to discuss "regional issues", including U.S. President Donald Trump's long-awaited Middle East peace plan and Israeli proposals "to annex Palestinian lands".
Earlier Putin said it was vital to oppose xenophobia and anti-Semitism everywhere.
A global survey by the U.S.-based Anti-Defamation League in November found that global anti-Semitic attitudes had increased, and significantly so in Eastern and Central Europe. It found that large percentages of people in many European countries think Jews talk too much about the Holocaust.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji/Mohammed Abu Ganeyeh/Yusri Al-Jamal
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None