- Title: Palestinians, Israeli troops clash in Bethlehm as unrest spreads
- Date: 6th February 2020
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (FEBRUARY 6, 2020) (REUTERS) ISRAELI FORCES FIRING RUBBER BULLET AT PALESTINIANS PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES AT ISRAELI FORCES VARIOUS OF CLASHES, FORCES FIRING RUBBER BULLETS AT PALESTINIANS PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES ISRAELI SOLDIER USING RIOT DISPERSAL MEANS AGAINST PALESTINIANS VARIOUS OF CLASHES VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES AS ISRAELI MILITARY VEHICLES WHICH ARE BEING DRIVEN AWAY ISRAELI SOLDIER FIRING TEAR GAS GRENADE TOWARDS PALESTINIANS JENIN, WEST BANK (FEBRUARY 6, 2020) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN MOURNERS CARRYING BODY OF 19-YEAR-OLD PALESTINIAN WHO WAS KILLED IN CLASHES, OUT OF MORGUE MOURNERS CHANTING, CALLING FOR REVENGE VARIOUS OF FUNERAL PROCESSION
- Embargoed: 20th February 2020 11:06
- Keywords: Bethlehem Israel Jenin Palestinians West Bank clashes funeral
- Location: BETHLEHEM AND JENIN, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM AND JENIN, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001BZH6TL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THE EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Palestinians clashed with Israeli soldiers in Bethlehem on Thursday (February 6) after a suspected Palestinian assailant, who ran down a group of Israeli soldiers earlier in Jerusalem, fled to the West Bank city, Palestinians said.
The clashes broke when Israeli forces conducted searches in the Bethlehem area for the Palestinian man who injured 12 soldiers, who were sight-seeing after coming to Jerusalem to be sworn in upon completing basic training, according to the Israeli military.
The Magen David Adom ambulance service said a total of 14 people were injured in Jerusalem, including one admitted to hospital with severe injuries and another with moderate injuries.
Police said it was treating the car-ramming incident, which took place near the Palestinian neighbourhoods of east Jerusalem, as a terrorist attack. The driver was still at large, police said.
Elsewhere, in the northern West Bank city of Jenin, hundreds of Palestinians marched in a funeral procession for a 19-year-old man who was shot dead by Israeli troops while throwing rocks at them, Palestinians said.
An Israeli military spokesman said troops came to Jenin to demolish the home of a Palestinian who was involved in the 2018 killing of a Jewish settler. Troops opened fire at Palestinians who shot and threw bombs at them in Jenin, the spokesman said.
Long-simmering Palestinian unrest has been stoked anew by anger at U.S. President Donald Trump's Middle East peace plan, which was embraced by Israel and rejected by the Palestinians when it was announced last week.
(Production: Mohammed Abu Ganeyeh, Ashraf Shawesh, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Lee Marzel)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None