- Title: OLYMPICS-WINTER/IOC-MEETING IOC executive board meets in Malaysia
- Date: 28th July 2015
- Summary: IOC DELEGATES TALKING VARIOUS OF IOC DELEGATES SITTING AHEAD OF MEETING DELEGATE LOOKING AT PHONE
- Embargoed: 12th August 2015 13:00
- Location: Malaysia
- Country: Malaysia
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA6DQLZ4TJ92RRZ1BBU3A10WJH0
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: International Olympic Committee (IOC) executive board members met in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia early on Tuesday (July 28).
IOC President Thomas Bach will chair the meeting which is expected to discuss the 2020 Summer Olympics after Japan's decision to scrap and completely revise plans for its controversial National Stadium as the move will save money.
The two-day meeting will lead up to a vote to elect host cities for the 2022 Winter Games and the 2020 Youth Olympic Winter Games.
The Chinese capital, Beijing and Kazakhstan's Almaty are the only bidders for the Winter Olympics in seven years' time.
Beijing, which hosted the 2008 summer Games, is looking to become the first city to be awarded both summer and winter editions of the world's biggest multi-sports event.
Victory for Beijing would also mean that Asia would host three consecutive Olympics after the 2018 winter Games in Pyeongchang in South Korea and Tokyo's 2020 summer Olympics.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None