- Title: Israeli jets strike targets in Gaza
- Date: 24th February 2020
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (FEBRUARY 24, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF EXPLOSIONS SEEN IN GAZA AFTER ISRAELI JETS STRIKE TARGETS IN THE STRIP ROCKETS BEING LAUNCHED FROM GAZA
- Embargoed: 9th March 2020 18:44
- Keywords: Gaza Israel airstrikes army millitants rockets
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001C1Z44SN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Explosions rocked the Gaza Strip and southern Israel on Monday night (February 24) as Israeli airstrikes and Palestinian rocket barrages were launched.
The Islamist group launched dozens of rockets, while Israel carried out air strikes on Gaza and sites in Syria that killed three Islamic Jihad members.
The Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad said on Monday it had ended its "military response" to Israel after two days of firing rockets from Gaza at its neighbour, but it then reversed course and resumed firing rockets, saying Israel had continued air strikes after the militants' apparent de-escalation.
Witnesses in Gaza reported hearing Israeli strikes after Islamic Jihad's announcement, and the Israeli military confirmed that it was hitting targets connected with the group in the coastal enclave.
The violence comes a week before an Israeli election in which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is seeking a fifth term in office after two inconclusive votes.
(Production: Mohammed Shanna/Fadi Barbakh/Wafa Mezied/Abed Shanna/Roleen Tafakji/Nehad Khalil)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None