- Title: Palestinians hold funerals for ten killed in Gaza after market fire
- Date: 6th March 2020
- Summary: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA (MARCH 6, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS WALKING IN FUNERAL PROCESSION, CARRYING BODY OF PALESTINIAN KILLED IN FIRE PALESTINIANS WALKING IN FUNERAL PROCESSION PALESTINIANS WALKING IN FUNERAL PROCESSION, CARRYING BODIES OF PALESTINIAN KILLED IN FIRE PALESTINIANS FILMING WITH PHONES PALESTINIANS WALKING IN FUNERAL PROCESSION
- Embargoed: 20th March 2020 14:52
- Keywords: Gaze Palestinians fire funeral
- Location: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA
- City: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001C3WYQ13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Palestinians held funeral processions on Friday (March 6) for 10 Palestinians, including six children, who were killed the day before when a bakery fire swept through a crowded market in a refugee camp in the Gaza Strip.
Some 60 others were injured in the fire, of whom 14 were in critical condition, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
Witnesses said they heard an explosion come from a bakery in the Nusseirat camp in central Gaza before a blaze engulfed the bakery and quickly spread to nearby stores, factories and cars parked along the street.
Gaza's interior ministry, which is run by the enclave's Islamist rulers Hamas, said the fire resulted from a gas leak inside one of the bakeries that caused several cooking gas bottles to explode.
Crowds of civilians rushed to help firefighters put out the flames. Smoke rising over the refugee camp could be seen from miles away.
Gaza authorities said they would offer cash assistance to the injured and families of the dead.
Gaza, a Palestinian enclave that covers 140 square miles (365 square km) along the Mediterranean Sea, is home to some two million people. Israel maintains a blockade of the Strip, citing security concerns from Hamas, with which it has fought several wars.
(Production: Abed Shana, Fadi Shana, Nehad Barbakh, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None