- Title: Palestinians disinfect holy places as a preventive measure against coronavirus
- Date: 7th March 2020
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (MARCH 7, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN WORKERS DISINFECTING CHURCH CHRISTIAN ARTWORK ON CHURCH WALL VARIOUS OF WORKERS DISINFECTING CHURCH (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN GOVERNMENT SPOKESMAN, IBRAHIM MELHEM, SAYING: "In the last few days there have been five thousand tourists in the city, they were moved out of the city at the time of their flights that will be leaving from Israel. Right now there are around 144 tourists in Bethlehem and they will leave Bethlehem in the next twenty four hours." WORKER DISINFECTING MOSQUE VARIOUS OF MAN READING KORAN WHILE WORKERS DISINFECT MOSQUE KORAN WORKER DISINFECTING MOSQUE BEIT JALA, WEST BANK (MARCH 7, 2020) (REUTERS) WIFE OF PALESTINIAN HELD IN QUARANTINE IN ANGEL HOTEL, MUTEEYA AL-SEIFI, HOLDING HER DAUGHTER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) WIFE OF PALESTINIAN HELD IN QUARANTINE IN ANGEL HOTEL, MUTEEYA AL-SEIFI, SAYING: "We are very upset about what is happening to the people inside and about the ones infected and hopefully all will be okay, we cannot do much for them. May God be with them. Everyone is upset and frustrated, his daughter is really upset about what is happening with him, he has high blood pressure and is he is stressed from the quarantine but what can we do?" AL-SEIFI AND DAUGHTER WAVING FOR THEIR HUSBAND/FATHER MAN WEARING MASK INSIDE HOTEL
- Embargoed: 21st March 2020 16:58
- Keywords: Americans Angel hotel Bethlehem Palestinians quarantine
- Location: RAMALLAH AND BEIT JALA, WEST BANK
- City: RAMALLAH AND BEIT JALA, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001C41YBLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Palestinian workers have been disinfecting holy places in the West Bank in addition to other public places on Saturday (March 7) in aim to tackle coronavirus outbreak.
A group of thirteen Americans suspected of being exposed to coronavirus during a trip to the Holy Land are in quarantine near Bethlehem and are coordinating with U.S. and Palestinian authorities to try to get home.
The city in the occupied West Bank has been in lock down since cases of the virus were recorded there on Thursday (March 5).
Some of the first cases there were reported among staff at the Angel Hotel. On Saturday, Palestinian government spokesman Ibrahim Melhem said a group of American visitors were in isolation in the building, without going into further details on their condition.
An official from the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem said it was aware of the reports. "Due to privacy considerations, we have no further details to share," she added.
Palestinian security forces wearing masks and gloves were stationed around the hotel on Saturday, as they have been since the first cases were announced.
Authorities have put restrictions on travel in and out of the city and turned away tourist buses. They have also closed the Church of the Nativity, believed to be the birthplace of Jesus, and shut schools.
(Production: Mohammad abu Ganeyeh, Mustafa abu Ganeyeh, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None