Elementary school students fight COVID-19 with self-built Lego disinfectant dispenserRecord ID: 1462645
- Title: Elementary school students fight COVID-19 with self-built Lego disinfectant dispenser
- Date: 9th March 2020
- Summary: DISPENSER DESIGN ON COMPUTER SCREEN
- Keywords: CORONAVIRUS COVID-19 DISINFECTANT DISPENSER HEALTH KAOHSIUNG LEGO MAKER ROBOT TAIWAN
- Reuters ID: LVA002C4BWG1Z
- Location: KAOHSIUNG, TAIWAN
- City: KAOHSIUNG, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Duration: 00:00:04
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Editors' Choice
- Story Text:Students at an elementary school in the remote Linyuan District of Taiwan's most southern city Kaohsiung have found their own way to fight the coronavirus and stay ahead of the curve in epidemic prevention.
Kids ranging from six to twelve years old use every school break and any chance they can get to line up to use the self-built alcohol disinfectant robot that some of their peers have assembled under the guidance of their Lego robotics coach.
"Washing hands is super," shouts a recorded voice after the dispenser senses a pair of hands in front of its ultrasonic sensor and dispenses alcohol disinfectant from a spray bottle by pulling back its handle with a motors and gearwheels mechanism. Next to the robot, on the Lego base plate, there are scenes crafted by the younger students showing various situations that require the washing of hands: an operation table in a hospital, a toilet and a flower garden.
One year after the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011, teachers at Linyuan Elementary School decided the students should learn about the basic principles of robotics. The school is situated in an industrial area, dominated by the petrochemical sector, and has seen several industrial explosions over the years. Therefore, teachers wanted to teach the children to be able to solve problems in their hometown in the future - such as fire, air pollution and gas explosions.
Since then, the school has represented Taiwan in many international competitions abroad and won several prizes with its robotics club.
(Production: Fabian Hamacher)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2020 14:26
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.