- Title: Threat of coronavirus pandemic 'has become very real': WHO's Tedros
- Date: 9th March 2020
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (MARCH 9, 2020) (REUTERS) HEALTH EMERGENCIES PROGRAMME EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR DR. MICHAEL J. RYAN, WHO DIRECTOR-GENERAL TEDROS GHEBREYESUS, AND TECHNICAL LEAD DR. MARIA VAN KERKHOVE SITTING IN NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) WHO DIRECTOR-GENERAL TEDROS GHEBREYESUS SAYING: "It's certainly troubling that so many people and countries have been affected so quickly. Now that that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real. But it would be the first pandemic in history that could be controlled. The bottom line is we're not at the mercy of the virus." EXPERTS AND JOURNALISTS LISTENING TO QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (English) WHO DIRECTOR-GENERAL TEDROS GHEBREYESUS SAYING: "For all countries, the aim is the same: stop transmission and prevent the spread of the virus." RYAN, TEDROS AND VAN KERKHOVE LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (English) WHO DIRECTOR-GENERAL TEDROS GHEBREYESUS SAYING: "The rule of the game is never give up. We are encouraged that Italy is taking aggressive measures to contain its epidemic and we hope that those measures prove effective in the coming days." NEWS BRIEFING IN PROGRESS
- Keywords: Italy Tedros WHO coronavirus pandemic
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4C0HFR
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:01:37
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: The coronavirus is closer to causing a pandemic but outbreaks in countries can still be controlled through a combination of containment and mitigation measures, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday (March 9).
"Now that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real," Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, told a news conference. "But it would be the first pandemic that could be controlled. The bottom line is we are not at the mercy of the virus."
Four countries account for 93% of the nearly 110,000 cases worldwide, Tedros said.
(Production: Cecile Mantovani, Michaela Cabrera)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2020 17:26
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None