- Title: Egypt steps up coronavirus checks after outbreak in Luxor
- Date: 9th March 2020
- Summary: LUXOR, EGYPT (MARCH 9, 2020) (REUTERS) CRUISE SHIP WHICH IS BELIEVED TO HAVE HAD ON BOARD 45 CORONAVIRUS CASES DOCKED AT RIVER NILE IN LUXOR SEEN IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF CRUISE SHIPS DOCKED ON NILE WHERE PASSENGERS AND STAFF ARE BEING TESTED AND SANITIZED BY LOCAL HEALTH AUTHORITIES IN LUXOR PASSENGERS LEAVING CRUISE SHIP AFTER BEING TESTED LUXOR TEMPLE (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPANISH TOURIST, OIHANA (NO SURNAME GIVEN), SAYING: "For the moment, no (not worried about the coronavirus situation. I hear some stuff, yeah, of course, but I'm not that worried, to be honest. Maybe it is just my opinion, but I'm not worried." JOURNALIST ASKING: "Why do you think you should not be worried?" "I don't know maybe because I don't feel it is that serious, I mean I know it is serious, but it is just like a flu. So, I'm not worried, I know it is something very important that we should be a little bit worried about it, but I don't feel it is something so big now." (SOUNDBITE) (English) AMERICAN TOURIST, BLANCA CASTILLO, SAYING: "I was worried initially, but also I choose to come because I want not to be afraid. Also, I have been paying attention to the CDC website (Centre for Disease Control and Prevention) and following the guidelines, you know washing your hands, not touching your face, things like that, and when you travel on the plane, to try to wipe down the seats and the countertops where the food gets put on. So I try to just follow the guidelines." PASSENGERS GETTING OFF PLANE AT LUXOR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT PASSENGERS WAITING TO PICK UP LUGGAGE PASSENGERS WALKING INTO ARRIVALS HALL AT AIRPORT KARNAK TEMPLE VARIOUS OF TOURISTS AT KARNAK TEMPLE (SOUNDBITE) (English) SWEDISH TOURIST, SUSANNE (NO SURNAME GIVEN), SAYING: "I'm actually not that worried, I know it affects a lot of people, but for myself, I'm not that worried actually." VARIOUS OF TOURISTS AT TEMPLE TOUR GUIDE SPEAKING TO GROUP OF TOURISTS
- Keywords: Coronavirus Cruise Ship Egypt Luxor Tourism
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4BZS5J
- Location: LUXOR, EGYPT
- City: LUXOR, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Duration: 00:03:29
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Egypt has stepped up action on Monday (March 9) to contain the coronavirus in the popular tourist destination of Luxor following an outbreak of the disease on a River Nile cruise ship.
At least 45 coronavirus cases have been detected on the ship since it arrived in Luxor, and a German tourist who died on Sunday in a hospital in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada had visited the southern city. Egypt has reported 55 cases in all.
Health authorities started sanitizing hotels and cruise ships in Luxor on Monday and began testing staff and guests for the virus, tourism workers and witnesses said.
Tourists and staff were not allowed in or out of hotel facilities or cruise ships until the health workers finished the sanitization and testing, they said.
Three government ministers visited Luxor on Sunday and toured archaeological sites, hotels and cruise ships to try to reassure travellers that it is safe to visit.
The tourism sector is an important source of hard currency for Egypt and the old and ancient temples, monuments and burial sites in or around Luxor make it one of the country's top destinations for tourists.
Revenue from tourism in Egypt was a record-high $12.57 billion in the financial year that ended last July, according to central bank figures.
The government has also suspended events in Egypt that include big gatherings to help curb the virus but has given no details.
(Production: Ahmed Fahmy, Mai Shams El Din)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2020 15:57
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None