'We miss your laughter': French relatives of Ethiopian Airlines victims remember loved onesRecord ID: 1462868
- Title: 'We miss your laughter': French relatives of Ethiopian Airlines victims remember loved ones
- Date: 9th March 2020
- Summary: ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA (MARCH 9, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FRENCH NATIONAL WHOSE BROTHER DIED IN THE ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES CRASH, VIRGINIE FRICAUDET COMFORTING ANOTHER RELATIVE VARIOUS OF FAMILIES PLACING FLOWERS ON TREES GROWN IN REMEMBRANCE OF VICTIMS FRICAUDET WITH ARMS AROUND TWO RELATIVES OF VICTIM VARIOUS OF RELATIVES CRYING AND HUGGING WOMAN STANDING NEXT TO FLOWERS FRICAUDET LOOKING ON FRICAUDET WALKING PAST WOMAN CLOSING EYES PEOPLE LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH NATIONAL WHO LOST HER BROTHER IN THE ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES CRASH, VIRGINIE FRICAUDET, SAYING: "We miss your laughter. We can let ourselves perish in your absence. We can also find a life in addition there. The autumn and winter that followed your death, we busied ourselves with deciphering for you a little ink garden. To enter, there are two doors, a song and a story. The song, it's ours, the story, we're just the tellers." WOMAN LISTENING PEOPLE LISTENING FRICAUDET WALKING PAST PEOPLE GATHERED VARIOUS OF FRICAUDET SPEAKING TO RELATIVES VARIOUS OF FRICAUDET WALKING AWAY
- Keywords: Boeing 737 Max Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 French victims crash
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4C01MV
- Location: ADDIS ABABA AND BISHOFTU, ETHIOPIA/ INTERNET
- City: ADDIS ABABA AND BISHOFTU, ETHIOPIA/ INTERNET
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:02:33
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Story Text:Virginie Fricaudet's brother Xavier was one of the 157 people killed when an Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed in 2019.
Ten of the victims were French.
At a ceremony at the French embassy at Addis Ababa on Monday (March 9), relatives of the French victims laid flowers, and consoled each other.
At the small gathering, Fricaudet read out a poem addressed to her brother, who worked as a teacher at the French school in Nairobi.
After her brother's death, Fricadeut created an association supporting the victims' families, which now has more than 300 members.
The accident, following the 2018 crash of the same model plane in Indonesia killing 189 people, led to the grounding of Boeing's 737 MAX worldwide, wiped billions off the company's value and sparked hundreds of lawsuits from bereaved families.
(Kumerra Gemechu, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2020 16:24
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None