- Title: Iraq closes schools and universities over coronavirus fears
- Date: 9th March 2020
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (MARCH 9, 2020) (REUTERS) HEADMISTRESS OF AL-DHIYA PRIMARY SCHOOL, SELMA ISMAEEL, WALKING UP TO SCHOOL GATES AND OPENING THEM EMPTY CORRIDOR INSIDE SCHOOL WRITING ON WALL READING (English): ''SAVE THE WATER'' EMPTY CLASSROOM ISMAEEL WALKING TOWARDS HER OFFICE EMPTY CLASSROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) AL-DHIYA PRIMARY SCHOOL HEADMISTRESS, SELMA ISMAEEL, SAYING: ''The crisis cell (in the Ministry of Education) has decided to give official holiday in schools all over the country including Baghdad until March 21. This is a precautionary measure due to the spread of the virus.'' EXTERIOR OF SCHOOL CARS DRIVING PAST CLOSED AL-BAYAN UNIVERSITY EMPTY CORRIDOR VARIOUS OF EMPTY CLASSROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PRESIDENT OF AL-BAYAN UNIVERSITY, KADHIM ABDUL-AMIR AL-ZAYDI, SAYING: 'The students have been given holiday until March 21. And before this holiday, the students were enjoying a holiday. So it was extended until March 21. During this period, we won't stop studying, we will use another method which is online studying.'' EMPTY YARD AT AL-BAYAN UNIVERSITY EXTERIOR OF MEDICAL CENTRE IN BAGHDAD'S SADR CITY VARIOUS OF MEDICAL CENTRE BEING SPRAYED
- Keywords: Iraq Iraqi universities coronavirus shut schools and universities shutdown schools virus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4BZIO7
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:02:31
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Schools and universities in Iraq were ordered to remain shut on Monday (March 9) as cases of the coronavirus in the country reached 61.
Iraq's Health Ministry had earlier issued a warning urging people to avoid any public gatherings, including protests, religious ceremonies and social events.
Selma Ismaeel, Headmistress of Baghdad's Al-Dhiya Primary School, said that the government had told schools to extend holidays until March 21 in a bid to control the virus.
Iraq has recently reported 6 deaths from coronavirus and the total of recorded cases inside Iraq to 61.
(Production: Haider Kadhim, Thaier Al-Sudani, Maher Nazeh, Mohammed Katfan, Rosalind Church)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2020 13:55
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None