- Title: France reports 15 more coronavirus deaths, tally now at 48
- Date: 11th March 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH HEALTH MINISTER, OLIVIER VERAN, SAYING: "I think about our elderly. They're the ones who are most threatened by the virus. We have then decided to suspend all outside visits in retirement homes unless it concerns long-term medical care. For nursing homes, visits are strongly discouraged." VERAN SPEAKING
- Keywords: France Jerome Salomon coronavirus news briefing public health
- Reuters ID: LVA003C4M0O5J
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:00:30
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: French health authorities reported 15 new coronavirus deaths on Wednesday (March 11), taking the country's death toll from the outbreak to 48, as the number of reported infections also sharply rose.
During a press conference, French Health Minister Olivier Veran also announced restrictions in two new areas of the country, the isle of Corsica and the urban area around the southern town of Montpellier.
The total number of confirmed cases came to 2,281, Veran added. That represents an increase of 497 cases on the tally reported Tuesday at 1800 GMT.
Veran said the virus does not "actively circulate" around France, as certain regions have recorded hundreds of cases, while others only a handful.
France is also suspending all visits in retirement homes to protect the elderly, who are the most impacted by the infection, Veran said.
(Production: Clotaire Achi, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th March 2020 19:02
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None