- Title: Chile faces fresh protests on 30th anniversary of return to democracy
- Date: 11th March 2020
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) STUDENT PROTESTERS WALKING DOWN STREET, ONE SPRAYING FIRE HYDRANT PROTESTERS FLEE POLICE ON MOTORCYCLE POLICE THROWING TEAR GAS CANISTERS TO DISPERSE PROTESTERS PROTESTERS RUNNING VARIOUS, POLICE ON MOTORCYCLE PURSUING PROTESTERS TEAR GAS WAFTING BEHIND POLICE ON MOTORCYCLES POLICE RUNNING AFTER PROTESTER PROTESTERS RUNNING PROTESTERS THROW ROCKS AT PASSING POLICE VEHICLE POLICE VEHICLE ON STREET VARIOUS, POLICE AND PROTESTERS ARGUING
- Keywords: Chile Chilean President Sebastian Pinera anniversary democracy demonstrations police protests student tear gas
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4M0KZR
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Duration: 00:01:49
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Story Text: Scattered incidents of violence broke out in Santiago on Wednesday (March 11) as Chilean President Sebastian Pinera celebrated 30 years since the country's return to democracy.
Student protesters marched downtown and some clashed with police who used tear gas to disperse the crowds.
Pinera said in a speech at the La Moneda presidential palace Wednesday that the country must learn the lessons of the past three decades as well as the past five months, referring to the protests that have rocked the country since October.
Opposition party leaders nonetheless boycotted Pinera's mid-morning ceremony, calling the celebrations inappropriate given a resurgence of abuses by police during protests late last year.
Dictator Augusto Pinochet overthrew the democratically elected socialist government of Salvador Allende in September 1973. During Pinochet's reign, which ended in 1990, some 3,000 people died or disappeared in Chile. Many more were tortured, according to government truth commission findings.
(Production: Esteban Medel)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th March 2020 17:25
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None