- Title: Latin American nations order emergency measures to combat coronavirus
- Date: 11th March 2020
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) HOSPITAL WHERE CORONAVIRUS PATIENT DIED AMBULANCES AT HOSPITAL LA PAZ, BOLIVIA (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE OUT ON STREET PERSON SHOPPING
- Keywords: Argentina Bolivia Latin America Peru closures coronavirus measures outbreak restrictions schools spread test travel
- Reuters ID: LVA004C4M0WUF
- Location: LIMA, PERU / BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA / INTERNET / LA PAZ & ORURO, BOLIVIA
- City: LIMA, PERU / BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA / INTERNET / LA PAZ & ORURO, BOLIVIA
- Country: Peru
- Duration: 00:00:37
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Countries in Latin America have stepped up emergency members to counter the spread of coronavirus across the region.
Peru's Health Ministry reported on Wednesday (March 11) that the number of confirmed cases in the country has jumped to 13.
Talking to media, President Martin Vizcarra said the school year has been postponed and that travellers coming in from Italy, Spain, France and China will have to isolate themselves.
Argentina has reported the first death of coronavirus in Latin America. According to reports, the patient was a 64-year-old man who had recently returned to Argentina from Europe. The patient's medical complications were originally attributed to previous poor health, until a test turned up positive for coronavirus.
According to reports, 19 people have been infected in Argentina so far.
In landlocked Bolivia the country confirmed two cases of the virus. The patients are two women over 60 years of age who arrived in Bolivia from Italy and without symptoms of the disease.
The virus, which began spreading in China in December, has infected more than 113,000 people, according to the World Health Organisation.
(Production: Carlos Valdez, Miguel Lo Bianco, Horacio Soria, Santiago Limachi, Juan Bustamante, Patrick Alwine, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th March 2020 21:03
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None