Barred from the stadium over coronavirus, PSG fans rally outside during Champions matchRecord ID: 1463224
- Title: Barred from the stadium over coronavirus, PSG fans rally outside during Champions match
- Date: 11th March 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF PARC DES PRINCES WHERE MATCH IS BEING HELD WITH LARGE GATHERING OF CHEERING PSG FANS GATE / CORDON TAPE VARIOUS OF FLAGS AND CHANTING AMID FLARES FIREWORKS PARIS ST GERMAIN SUPPORTERS AMID FLARE SMOKE VARIOUS OF FIREWORKS NEXT TO STADIUM STADIUM CORDONED OFF VARIOUS OF PSG SUPPORTERS HITTING DRUMS AND CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (French) PSG FAN, PABLO SCHREPFER, SAYING: "We forget everything when it comes to sports. The coronavirus, everything, we forget it all, for the love of the club." (SOUNDBITE) (French) PSG FAN MOHAMED LES CHARTREUX, SAYING: "We are fervent fans. We have always loved Paris St. Germain, despite everything. Today the state decided to close the doors. We're still here to sing for our team and to push them." FANS SINGING AND HITTING DRUM PSG FANS IN HAZMAT SUITS AND BEARING FLAGS FAN IN HAZMAT SUIT AND WEARING MASK (SOUNDBITE) (French) PSG FAN, MORGAN LOIR, SAYING: "I'm here to see the atmosphere, to see the closed-door match and to enjoy the little show in front of the Porte d'Auteuil." FAN CHANTING PARIS FLAG BEARING DRAWING OF CORONAVIRUS FANS HOLDING FLAGS FANS CLAPPING AND CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (English) PSG FAN, MORGAN LOIR, SAYING: "We are just here to support the people who are going to be on the field tonight and I hope they can hear us throughout the lockdown. And that's why we're here, to support them and to support Paris." JOURNALIST ASKING: "What's your message to the PSG team?" LOIR REPLYING: "Whether there is disease or everything, we are there to make sure they hear our voice and inside or outside the stadium." EXTERIOR OF STADIUM POLICE OFFICER WALKING PAST
- Keywords: Champions League Dortmund PSG coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4M0HTR
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:03:18
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Story Text:By lighting up flares, setting off fireworks and beating on drums, fans of Paris St Germain made sure their support was seen and heard by players inside the stadium on Wednesday (March 11) despite the closed-door match due to the coronavirus.
Paris St Germain beat Borussia Dortmund 2-0 in an empty stadium due to coronavirus fears on Wednesday to reach the Champions League quarter-finals 3-2 on aggregate.
Over 3,000 fans gathered near the Parc des Princes before kickoff after being granted authorisation by the police - demonstrations being considered an exemption to the ban of gatherings of more than 1,000 as French authorities try to contain the coronavirus, which has infected 2,281 people and killed 48.
The coronavirus has killed 33 people so far in France, with nearly 1,800 infected.
(Production: Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th March 2020 23:02
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None