- Title: Washington, D.C. declares a state of emergency over COVID-19
- Date: 11th March 2020
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) D.C. MAYOR MURIEL BOWSER WALKING IN AND ELBOW BUMPING HER STAFF (SOUNDBITE) (English) D.C. MAYOR MURIEL BOWSER, SAYING: "Today, I want to announce that I am declaring both a state of emergency and a public health emergency in Washington, D.C.. While this is an administrative action, largely it will give me more authority to implement and fund the measures that we need to monitor and respond to COVID-19 in our community." NEWS CONFERENCE ENDING
- Keywords: D.C. state of emergency Muriel Bowser
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4M0XMV
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:46
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:The mayor of Washington, D.C. declared a state of emergency on Wednesday (March 11), as city officials grow increasingly concerned about conventions, sporting events and large gatherings in the U.S. capital.
The city has confirmed ten cases of coronavirus, which has caused several area universities to cancel in-person classes.
The Bowser issued an advisory recommending all "non-essential" gatherings of over 1,000 people be canceled through the end of the month.
After the news conference, sporting events, concerts and the National Cherry Blossom Festival announced they will postpone or cancel some events. The city's St. Patrick's Day parade has also been postponed indefinitely.
President Donald Trump vowed he would use all government resources necessary to combat the virus, which has killed 32 people in America and ravaged Italy, China and other countries.
(Production: Arlene Eiras)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th March 2020 21:26
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None