- Title: LAX quiet after US puts more restrictions on international travel
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF LAX VARIOUS DEPARTURES HALL SELF CHECK-IN MACHINES HAND SANITIZER EMPTY CHECK-IN COUNTERS DEPARTURES BOARD TO COUNTERS PEOPLE WAITING IN ARRIVALS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING AT ARRIVALS FLIGHT ATTENDANTS ARRIVING AT DEPARTURES WITH MASKS ON
- Keywords: COVID19 LAX Los Angeles airport coronavirus travel ban
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4QVVPJ
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES;
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES;
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:33
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Los Angeles' LAX airport looked empty on Thursday (March 12) after U.S. restrictions were put on travel from European countries.
U.S. president Donald Trump restricted certain travel from Europe to the United States in a televised address about the health crisis on Wednesday, shocking investors and travelers.
On Thursday, he said he had no time to consult European allies before announcing the move, but hoped that the curbs on travel to Europe and China could be lifted very quickly.
U.S. travel restrictions on passengers arriving from Europe's border-free Schengen area will affect passengers arriving on 6,747 flights over the next four weeks or 11% of all international flights, flight data provider OAG said.
Over 40% of the flights are with U.S. airlines. Delta Air Lines and United Airlines will be the most affected, followed by Germany's Lufthansa , OAG said in a blog published on Thursday.
(Production: Jack Ferry/Rollo Ross)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 18:42
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None