- Title: Champions League games postponed as UEFA calls meeting to discuss coronavirus
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: DECINES-CHARPIEU, FRANCE (FEBRUARY 25, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GOALKEEPER TRAINING VARIOUS OF PLAYERS PASSING THE BALL VARIOUS OF PLAYERS WARMING UP LIGHTS PLAYERS LINED UP BEFORE RUNNING STRIKER MOUSSA DEMBELE (LEFT) AND DEFENDER JASON DENAYER (RIGHT)
- Keywords: Champions League Juventus Lyon MLS Manchester City Netherlands Real Madrid
- Reuters ID: LVA008C4R0473
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:10
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Story Text: Manchester City's Champions League last-16, second-leg tie with Real Madrid and Juventus' match against Olympique Lyonnais next week have been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, European soccer's governing body UEFA said on Thursday (March 12).
Real said earlier on Thursday that it had sent all of the members of its soccer and basketball teams home into quarantine after one of the sports club's basketball players tested positive for the coronavirus.
Juventus defender Daniele Rugani tested positive for coronavirus on Wednesday (March 11), leading the Italian club to quarantine their entire squad.
Both matches were due to take place on Tuesday, March 17.
City have a 2-1 lead from the first leg in Madrid on February 26 while Juventus trail Lyon 1-0.
Earlier on Thursday, UEFA announced it will hold a meeting of all 55 football federations in Europe to discuss the impact of the coronavirus on all domestic and European competitions, including the Euro 2020 tournament.
The meeting will be conducted by video conference on Tuesday, March 17, and will also involve the boards of the European Club Association, the European leagues and a representative of FIFPro, the players' union.
That news came as all soccer in the Netherlands was suspended until the end of the month because of the coronavirus epidemic, which means the Dutch national team have cancelled warm-up matches ahead of the European Championship.
Major League Soccer as well as the Portuguese league and Belgian leagues announced their domestic leagues will also be suspended because of the virus.
(Production: Tim Hart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 16:34
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None