- Title: U.S. Capitol closed to the public as coronavirus hits Congress
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VERTICAL PAN OF U.S. CAPITOL TIGHT SHOT PART OF CAPITOL DOME NEXT TO TREE TIGHT SHOT POLICE GUARDING CAPITOL HORIZONTAL PAN FROM "EAST CAPITOL" STREET SIGN TO WIDE OF CAPITOL TIGHT SHOT OF U.S. FLAG ON CAPITOL WIDE OF CAPITOL VARIOUS OF WATER FOUNTAIN IN FRONT OF WHITE HOUSE ZOOM OUT FROM U.S. FLAG TO WIDE OF WHITE HOUSE
- Keywords: Capitol Visitor Center U.S. Capitol White House tours coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4R0QBR
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:02
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Officials ordered the U.S. Capitol complex closed to much of the public starting on Thursday (March 12), one day after a staffer for a senator from Washington state tested positive for the new coronavirus.
Limited access to the Capitol and office buildings was to begin at 5 p.m. EDT (2100 GMT) and last until April 1, the House and Senate Sergeants at Arms said. The Capitol Visitor Center will be closed and public tours suspended.
Lawmakers, staff, credentialed journalists and visitors with official business would still be allowed entry.
Congress had been scheduled to leave Washington for a week starting on Friday. But it was unclear when the break would start as Republicans and Democrats negotiated over legislation to provide economic relief as the number of U.S. coronavirus cases continued to grow.
Tours of the White House were also suspended in wake of the outbreak.
(Production: Vanessa Johnston)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 19:48
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None