- Title: Bolsonaro aide tests positive for coronavirus as country prepares
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS, SCREEN SHOT OF EMAILED STATEMENT FROM BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT CONFIRMING THAT BRAZIL'S CHIEF OF THE SECRETARIAT OF SOCIAL COMMUNICATION, FABIO WAJNGARTEN, HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH CORONAVIRUS
- Keywords: COVID-19 Chief of the Secretariat of Social Communication Fabio Wajngarten Jair Bolsonaro
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4R0KSN
- Location: SAO PAULO, BRASILIA, AND RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: SAO PAULO, BRASILIA, AND RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Duration: 00:00:09
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro's communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, has been diagnosed with coronavirus following a second confirmatory test, the presidency's communications office said on Thursday (March 12).
Wajngarten accompanied Bolsonaro on a recent trip to the U.S. and posted a photograph on Instagram standing next to Donald Trump. In the statement, Brazil said it had already notified U.S. authorities of the positive test.
Brazilian markets were also battered on Thursday, with stocks diving 16% and the currency touching a historic low as fears over economic damage from the global coronavirus pandemic triggered a selloff.
The real fell below 5.00 per dollar for the first time ever, extending losses this year to as much as 20% and prompting another round of dollar-selling intervention from the central bank.
(Production: Pablo Garcia, Sergio Queiroz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 19:01
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None