- Title: Japan Olympics minister says canceling, postponing Games not being considered
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF NATIONAL STADIUM VARIOUS INTERIORS OF NATIONAL STADIUM
- Keywords: Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga Japan Olympics Minister Seiko Hashimoto Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games new coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA006C4VVEX3
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Duration: 00:00:23
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Story Text: Japanese Olympics Minister Seiko Hashimoto said on Friday (March 13) that canceling or postponing the Tokyo Games is not being considered despite U.S. President Donald Trump's suggestion officials should consider delaying the event for one year amid the coronavirus pandemic.
"I'm aware of President Trump's remarks. The IOC (International Olympic Committee) and 2020 organizers are not at all considering canceling or postponing the Games. I've heard they are proceeding with preparations for safe and secure games as planned toward the opening day of July 24," Hashimoto told a regular news conference.
Japan's top government spokesman Yoshihide Suga did not confirm or deny whether Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe discussed Trump's comments in a phone call earlier on Friday. According to Suga, both sides agreed to continue to cooperate for the Games.
The two leaders spoke for about 50 minutes about the coronavirus pandemic, among other topics, Suga said.
(Production: Hideto Sakai, Jack Tarrant)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 02:40
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None