- Title: National Guard arrives in New York coronavirus hotspot
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: NEW ROCHELLE, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NATIONAL GUARD MANAGING COMMUNITY SUPPLIES OUTSIDE WESTCOP SIGN ON LAWN OF NEW ROCHELLE HOME SAYING (English): 'WE SUPPORT OUR NEIGHBORS. #NEW RO STRONG'
- Keywords: Coronavirus National Guard New Rochelle New York supplies
- Reuters ID: LVA002C4QZMTJ
- Location: NEW ROCHELLE, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW ROCHELLE, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:32
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:The National Guard started helping the town of New Rochelle, New York, distribute supplies on Thursday (March 12).
New Rochelle has seen the bulk of New York State's cases of coronavirus, and Governor Andrew Cuomo announced on Tuesday (March 11) that the town was considered a hot zone for coronavirus transmission and called for schools and public facilities to temporarily close.
Outside of WestCOP community center on Thursday, National Guard soldiers could be seen helping to unload and organize food and other supplies for neighborhood residents.
The United States is preparing for thousands of new coronavirus cases and will ask Americans returning from abroad to go into "self-quarantine" for 14 days as part of the effort to contain the outbreak, Vice President Mike Pence said on Thursday.
Pence also said officials are seeking to ramp up testing in all 50 U.S. states and pointed to efforts by commercial laboratories, including Laboratory Corp of America Holdings and Quest Diagnostics Inc., but gave no other details.
Health experts have said a shortage of diagnostic test kits has made it difficult to gauge the full scale of outbreaks in the United States and curtail transmission of the virus.
More than 1,300 U.S. cases of coronavirus have been confirmed and 33 people have died, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. The hardest-hit U.S. states, such as New York and Washington state, have struggled to quickly expand testing capacity to make such screening widely available.
(Production: Soren Larson)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 14:48
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None