- Title: ATP and WTA suspends tournaments over coronavirus
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA (FEBRUARY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORLD NUMBER ONE NOVAK DJOKOVIC POSING WITH AUSTRALIAN OPEN TROPHY AND KISSING TROPHY PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - JUNE 9, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORLD NUMBER ONE ASHLEIGH BARTY POSING WITH FRENCH OPEN TROPHY INFRONT OF MEDIA LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - NOVEMBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ROGER FEDERER PRACTISING AHEAD OF ATP TOUR FINALS VARIOUS OF NOVAK DJOKOVIC PRACTISING AHEAD OF ATP TOUR FINALS VARIOUS OF RAFAEL NADAL PRACTISING AHEAD OF ATP TOUR FINALS NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 20, 2019) (REUTERS) SERENA WILLIAMS AT NIKE'S "QUEENS OF TENNIS" EVENT IN MANHATTAN LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - JUNE 28, 2019) (REUTERS) SERENA WILLIAMS PRACTISING AT WIMBLEDON
- Keywords: ATP Ashleigh Barty Coronavirus Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Serena Williams Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4R04ZR
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Various
- Duration: 00:03:23
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Sport,Tennis
- Story Text:The ATP suspended its professional men's tennis tour for six weeks on Thursday (March 12), citing concerns over the coronavirus outbreak, which has upended major sporting events across the globe.
The announcement came moments after Miami-Dade County said it would suspend the Miami Open and following Sunday's last-minute cancellation of the Indian Wells tournament in Southern California.
The decision was not taken lightly, ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi said in a statement, adding that the suspension represents a great loss for players and fans.
Impacted events include the Clay Court Championships in Houston, the Grand Prix Hassan II in Marrakech, the Monte-Carlo Masters, the Barcelona Open and the Hungarian Open.
The WTA has said the Miami Open and Volvo Car Open in Charleston would be postponed but no other tournaments
The International Tennis Federation (ITF) also postponed all of its events until April 20 following ATP's announcement and will review the situation on a weekly basis.
"The ITF is taking the precautionary measure to postpone all ITF-owned and sanctioned events, across the men's and women's ITF World Tennis Tour, the ITF World Tennis Tour Juniors, the Wheelchair Tennis Tour, ITF Beach Tennis World Tour and ITF Seniors Tour," it said in a statement https://www.itftennis.com/en/news-and-media/articles/itf-postpones-all-events-until-20-april.
On Wednesday, the ITF had postponed the inaugural edition of the multi-nation Fed Cup finals that were scheduled to be held in Budapest next month.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has described the coronavirus crisis as a pandemic, meaning it is spreading fast across the globe, as countries scramble to contain the outbreak.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 17:51
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None