- Title: Turkey says schools, universities to close over coronavirus
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) WORKER IN HAZMAT SUIT ENTERING PUBLIC BUS VARIOUS OF WORKER SPRAYING DISINFECTANT INSIDE THE BUS WORKER ENTERING ANOTHER BUS AND SPRAYING DISINFECTANT WOMEN SITTING IN BUS COVERING THEIR FACES AS DISINFECTANT IS SPRAYED EDIRNE, TURKEY (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORKERS IN HAZMAT SUITS DISINFECTING SELIMIYE MOSQUE
- Keywords: Turkey coronavirus measures
- Reuters ID: LVA003C4R06KN
- Location: ANKARA, ISTANBUL, EDIRNE, TURKEY
- City: ANKARA, ISTANBUL, EDIRNE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Duration: 00:00:39
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Turkish schools will be closed for one week and universities for three weeks from March 16, and all sports events will be played without spectators until the end of April in response to the coronavirus outbreak, presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said on Thursday (March 12).
The moves came after Turkey confirmed its first coronavirus infection on Wednesday, becoming the last major economy to report an outbreak after taking what the World Health Organization (WHO) described as vigilant measures.
At a news conference following a meeting of ministers at the presidential palace, Kalin also said that President Tayyip Erdogan's foreign visits and programs will be postponed for some time due to the spread of the virus.
Kalin said primary, middle and secondary schools would initially be closed for one week and after that students will receive remote online teaching from March 23.
Until Wednesday's announcement, Turkey had officially managed to avoid an outbreak, though all its neighbours except war-ravaged Syria had reported cases. Iran has an especially high number of cases and deaths.
(Production: Yesim Dikmen, Omer Berberoglu, Bulent Usta)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 17:04
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None