Closed museums and popular landmarks in Madrid unusually quiet amid coronavirus outbreakRecord ID: 1463594
- Title: Closed museums and popular landmarks in Madrid unusually quiet amid coronavirus outbreak
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF MADRID'S EL PRADO MUSEUM, CLOSED SECURITY GUARD GUARDING MUSEUM VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF EL PRADO MUSEUM SIGN READING (Spanish): "THE MUSEUM NATIONAL OF EL PRADO WILL REMAIN CLOSED FROM 12 UNTIL 26 MARCH 2020" EXTERIOR OF MUSEUM WOMAN WEARING MASK TOURIST PEEKING INSIDE MUSEUM EXTERIOR OF MUSEUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM GERMANY, ABINA, SAYING: "It actually doesn't change a lot. We stay flexible, the weather is fine, the sun is shining. At our home right now itâ€™s quite cold and raining, so it's just nice to enjoy the town." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURISTS FROM GERMANY, INIDIRA AND MARC, SAYING: "We don't have to panic, I think it's ok, for the people with the risk, but for the normal people I think it's not a problem, but we need to share safety for everyone." (SOUNDBITE) (French) TOURIST FROM FRANCE, SOPHIE, SAYING: "It is necessary, a state has to take care of the health of its citizens, so I understand it and I respect it." VARIOUS OF TOURISTS WEARING MASKS VARIOUS OF TOP SHOT OF PLAZA MAYOR, MADRID'S FAMOUS SQUARE, LOOKING UNUSUALLY QUIET VARIOUS OF BARS AND RESTAURANTS ON PLAZA MAYOR LOOKING EMPTY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING IN BAR EMPTY RESTAURANT TOURISTS WEARING MASKS EMPTY TABLES AT RESTAURANT RESTAURANT NEARLY EMPTY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) WAITER AT RESTAURANT ON PLAZA MAYOR, MIGUEL, SAYING: "There is no tourism, we've been noticing the difference since two or three days. There is a change." PLAZA MAYOR LOOKING UNUSUALLY EMPTY (SOUNDBITE) (French) TOURISTS FROM FRANCE, SYLVIE AND YANN, SAYING: "The inconvenience has to turn into something positive, to optimise the time. So we are going to walk and explore instead of being indoors, and we will come back for the museums." MADRID'S SOL SQUARE WOMAN WEARING MASK PLAZA DEL SOL TOURIST BUS LOOKING EMPTY PLAZA DEL SOL VARIOUS OF STAFF AT TOURIST STANDS WEARING MASKS PLAZA DEL SOL OLD MAN WEARING MASK MADRID CITY CENTRE TOURISTS WEARING MASKS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AROUND MADRID CITY CENTRE MADRID'S ROYAL PALACE, SQUARE OUTSIDE LOOKING EMPTY VARIOUS OF SIGN SHOWING ROYAL PALACE IS CLOSED ROYAL PALACE LOOKING EMPTY VARIOUS OF EMPTY SUPERMARKET SHELVES EMPTY SHELF FOR TOILET PAPER HALF EMPTY SUPERMARKET SHELVES
- Keywords: Madrid Spain coronavirus outbreak coronavirus landmarks nearly empty
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4QZCJR
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:05:36
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Madrid's most famous landmarks and city centre were unusually quiet on Thursday (March 12) due to the coronavirus epidemic that has hit the Spanish capital.
Only a few people were seen at the famous Plaza Mayor, usually filled with tourists, and square outside the Royal Palace, which has been closed to the public.
Madrid's state-run museums, including the Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Thyssen-Bornemisza, have been closed to the public.
Tourists said they respected the safety measures taken by the Spanish state. A waiter in a restaurant at Plaza Mayor said the lack of tourism could be felt.
The capital has already closed schools for 15 days and banned large gatherings as it tries to grapple with a steep increase in coronavirus cases.
Spain's death toll from coronavirus has risen to 84 on Thursday from 47 on Wednesday (March 11), the health ministry said.
The ministry reported the number of cases rose to 2,968 up from 2,140 on Wednesday.
(Production: Julien Hennequin, Juan Medina, Marco Trujillo, Sergio Perez, Belen Carreno, May Ponzo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 15:07
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None