- Title: Stocks plummet after Trump bans travel from Europe to contain coronavirus blow
- Date: 12th March 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE SIGN READING (Japanese): "JPX TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE" SCREEN SHOWING NIKKEI 225 INDEX AT OPENING AT 19,064.51 VARIOUS OF SCREEN SHOWING NIKKEI 225 INDEX MOVEMENTS TOPIX INDEX MOVEMENTS/ NIKKEI 225 MOVEMENTS ELECTRONIC BOARD VARIOUS OF SCREEN SHOWING STOCK PRICES ELECTRONIC TICKER SHOWING STOCK PRICES STAFF AT TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE CROSSING ROAD / TRAFFIC VEHICLES PASSING BY DEALERS WORKING IN DEALING ROOM AT KEB HANA BANK ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING KOREA COMPOSITE STOCK PRICE INDEX (KOSPI) AT OPENING DEALERS WORKING SCREEN SHOWING KOSPI AND USD/KRW EXCHANGE RATE DEALER TALKING ON THE PHONE VARIOUS OF DEALERS WORKING HONG KONG, CHINA (MARCH 12, 2020) (REUTERS) SCREEN DISPLAYING HANG SENG INDEX ON ELECTRONIC TICKER EXTERIOR OF HONG KONG EXCHANGE SQUARE STOCK TICKER VARIOUS OF BULL STATUES VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF HONG KONG EXCHANGE SQUARE HONG KONG, CHINA AND HONG KONG EXCHANGES AND CLEARING FLAGS FLYING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING IN THE CITY'S FINANCIAL DISTRICT
- Keywords: Markets NIKKEI 225 TOPIX Tokyo Stock Exchange
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4QVFWN
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN / SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA / HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN / SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA / HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Various
- Duration: 00:02:41
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets
- Story Text:Global shares crumbled on Thursday (March 12) after U.S. President Donald Trump stunned investors by announcing a temporary travel ban from Europe in an effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus, threatening more disruptions to businesses and the world economy.
U.S. S&P 500 futures dived 4.7%, a day after the S&P 500 lost 4.89%, putting the index firmly in a bear market territory, defined as a 20% fall from a recent top.
MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan lost 4.1% to its lowest level since early 2019, while Japan's Nikkei dropped 5.3%.
In South Korea, stocks opened lower with the Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) down 16.14 points or 0.85 percent to 1,892.13 points as of 0003 GMT.
Hong Kong's benchmark Hang Seng index opened firmly in the red, falling by over 896 points by 0228 G, a drop of 3.55 per cent.
(Production: Akiko Okamoto, Aleksander Solum, Daewoung Kim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th March 2020 02:56
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None