- Title: Long queues for tobacco in Madrid as the country declares state of emergency
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE QUEUING IN FRONT OF TOBACCO SHOP CUSTOMER ORDERING CIGARETTES VARIOUS OF CUSTOMER BUYING STOCKS OF CIGARETTES VARIOUS OF TOBACCO SHOP PEOPLE QUEUING OUTSIDE TOBACCO SHOP VARIOUS SCREENS WITH INFORMATION ON CORONAVIRUS LARGE SCREEN WITH HASHTAG "IWILLSTAYHOME" AND "IAMRESPONSIBLE"
- Keywords: Spain coronavirus outbreak state of emergency
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4W0B47
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:01:09
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:With fears of tobacco shortage after Spain announced on Friday (March 13) it will be in a state of emergency for the next 15 days to better combat the coronavirus, people in Madrid queued at tobacco shops to buy stocks of cigarettes.
The state of emergency, which Sanchez said will formally be decided by a cabinet meeting on Saturday (March 14), will give the government power to take wide-ranging measures including temporarily occupying factories or any other premises except private homes.
Sanchez did not spell out what emergency powers he would use, or what help shut-down businesses would get. The order allows the government to confine people, ration supplies and requisition factories and buildings, apart from private homes.
Madrid's regional government said in a statement that starting at midnight (2300 GMT) and until at least March 26, bars, restaurants and shops, except for food shops, petrol stations and others selling essential items, would be closed to the public.
Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said the number of cases could top 10,000 by next week - more than double the current level - and asked citizens to play their part.
(Production: Juan Medina, Sergio Perez, Miguel Gutierrez, May Ponzo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 20:04
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None