- Title: Eiffel Tower announces shutdown amid coronavirus containment
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JANUARY 9, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EIFFEL TOWER VARIOUS OF TOURISTS UNDER EIFFEL TOWER PARIS, FRANCE (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) EIFFEL TOWER TOURISTS TAKING PICTURE WITH EIFFEL TOWER DETAILS OF EIFFEL TOWER EIFFEL TOWER
- Keywords: Eiffel Tower coronavirus epidemic museums tourists
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4W0PC7
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:01:00
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: The Eiffel Tower, one of the world's most famous landmarks, was to be closed on Friday evening (March 13) as France took drastic measures to curb the coronavirus epidemic.
Operators of the monument issued a press release saying the doors would shut at 21h00 (2000 GMT), adding they hoped to reopen "very soon" when the health crisis would allow it.
The Eiffel Tower is one of many monuments which were set to close in the French capital on Friday, along with the Louvre Museum, the Moulin Rouge and others, following Prime Minister Edouard Philippe's announcement that gatherings of more than 100 people were banned to contain the spread of coronavirus.
In a televised address to the nation on Thursday (March 12), President Emmanuel Macron announced school closures and urged people to avoid close contact for fear of spreading the virus that has killed 61 people in France and infected almost 3,000.
(Production: Lucien Libert)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 18:03
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None