Guitars at the window, Rome switches aperitivo for balcony song in nationwide â€˜flash mobâ€™Record ID: 1463738
- Title: Guitars at the window, Rome switches aperitivo for balcony song in nationwide â€˜flash mobâ€™
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CLANGING SAUCEPANS AND CLAPPING ON BALCONIES DURING FLASH MOB
- Keywords: Italy Tutto andrÃ bene banners banners of hope coronavirus coronavirus outbreak in Italy everything will be alright flashmob lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA002C4VZWW7
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:00:33
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The San Lorenzo and Pigneto districts of Rome are usually buzzing with university students drowning their sorrows with aperitivo on a Friday night, but under lockdown on March 13, instead the only sound was of the national anthem blaring from windows as Italians up and down the country came together for a 'flash mob' to raise morale in an increasingly difficult time.
No-one is allowed outside in the countrywide coronavirus lockdown - people can only move around for work, health needs or emergencies and anyone outside must keep a distance of at least one metre.
But on Friday (March 13) evening at 6:00 p.m. (1700 GMT), Italians found an alternative way of enjoying the end of a week stuck at home - by taking to their windows and balconies playing instruments, singing and clapping together to try and bring some hope to the end of a tough week.
The national anthem 'Fratelli d'Italia' was blared out of speakers up and down the country and families sang along cheering from their balconies, clanging together saucepans, for a moment of respite.
The flashmob was organised on social media spread through WhatsApp.
(Production: Yara Nardi, Guglielmo Mangiapane, Cristiano Corvino, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 18:47
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None