- Title: A Jordanian designer bedazzles masks to encourage corona safety
- Date: 14th March 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) JORDANIAN DESIGNER, SAMIA ALZAKLEH, SAYING: "There are a lot of people who loved this idea, at the same time there are some who criticized it because this is related to an illness. But my goal wasn't to focus on the illness and the mask, my goal was simply an artistic one." VARIOUS OF ALZAKLEH ADDING CRYSTALS TO MASKS VARIOUS OF THE MASKS ON DISPLAY
- Keywords: Coronavirus Crystals Decoration Jordan Jordanian Designer Masks face masks
- Reuters ID: LVA003C50VRDL
- Location: AMMAN, JORDAN
- City: AMMAN, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Duration: 00:00:41
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Human-Led Quirky,Human-Led Stories
- Story Text: A Jordanian designer is adding a sparkle to face masks amid deepening concerns over the spread of coronavirus.
Samia AlZakleh is bedazzling masks with colorful crystals to raise awareness on the importance of taking the necessary safety measures to prevent the spread of the disease.
Jordanian authorities announced earlier this month that only one man had tested positive for the coronavirus, but AlZakleh says Jordanians must remain vigilant.
"My goal in creating these masks was to encourage people to wear (protective) face masks," she said.
The designer has given her masks as gifts to influencers and celebrities, who have worn them and encouraged others to stay safe through their social media platforms.
An average mask takes AlZakleh over three hours and hundreds of crystals to complete.
Jordan on Tuesday (March 10) closed border crossings with Israel and the Israeli-occupied West Bank and its seaports to shipping from Egypt as well as barred overland passenger traffic from Iraq to protect the kingdom from coronavirus, the health minister said.
The government has also banned travel to Lebanon and Syria and from Monday will bar entry to travelers from France, Germany and Spain.
The coronavirus outbreak, traced to the Hubei provincial capital of Wuhan, has killed 2,715 so far and stricken about 78,000 in mainland China.
(Production: Bushra Shakhshir, Jehad Abu Shalbak)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th March 2020 10:26
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None