- Title: Pakistan extends school closure in Sindh province amid coronavirus fears
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF GUARDS PUBLIC SCHOOL AND COLLEGE CLOSED SCHOOL GATE STUDENTS SITTING OUTSIDE SCHOOL SCHOOL BUILDING TEACHER STANDING IN SCHOOL HALLWAY VARIOUS OF EMPTY CLASSROOM TEACHERS BEING SEATED IN OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) SCHOOL TEACHER, HUMA HAFEEZ, SAYING: "This is an important time for students as they have to take exams and the new semester will start after that. Due to spread of coronavirus across the world, the government took this decision quickly and we will stand with their decision. We stand with the precautionary measures by the government, but this is an important time (for students). Education is totally stopped in schools. However, we are issuing admission cards to the student due to board examination. We have called the students, so they can collect their admission cards in case the board announces something." TEACHER DISTRIBUTING ADMISSION CARDS TO STUDENTS VARIOUS OF STUDENTS HOLDING ADMISSION CARDS (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) STUDENT, AISHA MOHAMMAD HANEEF, SAYING: "We know, the coronavirus is spreading, but why close the schools? At least, students should be able to attend classes and take the exams. It does not matter if they don't get an A. It's a question of our future. The students will forget in three months what they have learnt by heart." TRAFFIC IN KARACHI FATHER OF STUDENTS, MOHAMMAD IMRAN WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) FATHER OF STUDENTS, MOHAMMAD IMRAN, SAYING: "This is affecting children's education badly because they are about to take final exams. The government has announced vacations for two months. Besides taking measures regarding coronavirus, the government should plan something about the education for children which is being affected badly." EXTERIOR OF CLOSED SCHOOL
- Keywords: China Pakistan coronavirus disease health school
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4VVCJR
- Location: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- City: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Duration: 00:02:30
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Schools remained closed in Karachi on Friday (March 13) after the government of Pakistan's Sindh province announced that schools, which had been closed last week amid fears of coronavirus, would now remain closed till May 30.
The decision was made during a special cabinet meeting presided by Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah. It was also decided that these holidays would be treated as summer vacations. Karachi is the capital of the southern province of Sindh.
The SSC (Secondary School Certificate) annual examination was also postponed in Sindh, Baluchistan and Gilgit-Baltistan region. Teachers, students and parents said they stood by the government decision but it could badly affect the education process.
The number of confirmed coronavirus patients has reached 21 across Pakistan, with 15 in Sindh province.
(Production: Waseem Sattar, Shahabuddin Shahab)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 11:49
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None