- Title: Formula One in turmoil after Australia Grand Prix scrapped due to coronavirus
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) GRAND PRIX TICKET HOLDER, NATHAN VAN HECKE, SAYING: "I can understand the safety aspect of it, I'm disappointed in the way it was handled and the confusion that was caused, having people line up this morning. One of my workmates was in line this morning, messaging me to ask me what was going on, because they were being told nothing at the gate, that's crazy talk."
- Keywords: Australia COVID-19 FIA Formula 1 Grand Prix McLaren Melbourne coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA003C4VVAYV
- Location: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
- City: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
- Country: Australia
- Duration: 00:00:20
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Sport
- Story Text:The Formula One season has been thrown into doubt with the cancellation of the Australian Grand Prix due to the coronavirus on Friday (March 13).
With fans queuing at the gates of Albert Park in Melbourne early on Friday for the Formula One season-season opener, the race was cancelled just a few hours before the cars were scheduled to take to the track for the first time.
The decision came after a member of the McLaren team tested positive for the coronavirus and the British-based outfit scratched from the race, which attracts some 300,000 fans every year.
The coronavirus pandemic has shredded the global sporting calendar, with men's tennis shut down for six weeks, top European soccer leagues placed on hold, NHL suspended and Major League Baseball's opening day postponed.
(Production: Cordelia Hsu)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 04:15
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None