- Title: Gloria Gaynor creates viral challenge to fight coronavirus
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JANUARY 26, 2020) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SINGER GLORIA GAYNOR BEING INTERVIEWED MONTE CARLO, MONACO (FILE - MARCH 6, 2002) (REUTERS) SMV DESIGNERS DOLCE AND GABBANA POSING WITH GLORIA GAYNOR
- Embargoed: 27th March 2020 16:52
- Keywords: Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive coronavirus hygiene social media viral video
- Location: INTERNET / UNKNOWN FILMING LOCATIONS / LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / RABAT, MOROCCO / MONTE CARLO. MONACO
- City: INTERNET / UNKNOWN FILMING LOCATIONS / LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / RABAT, MOROCCO / MONTE CARLO. MONACO
- Country: Various
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA007C4VZGAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Gloria Gaynor has started her own viral internet challenge to encourage proper handwashing practices and help fight the spread of coronavirus.
The #IWillSurviveChallenge encourages people to wash their hands while singing and dancing along to Gaynor's 1978 hit "I Will Survive".
The Grammy-winning singer posted a video to her personal Instagram, Twitter and TikTok accounts on Tuesday (March 10), saying: "It only takes 20 seconds to "SURVIVE"!" and since then swathes of people on all platforms have followed her example.
On Friday (March 13), Gaynor thanked people for taking part in the challenge on Twitter. She tweeted: "I love that people are taking part in the #washyourhands #iwillsurvivechallenge with me on TikTok... Stay safe & healthy everyone! Wash your hands often every day for 20 seconds or more!"
Government-issued guidelines advise hand washing for 20 seconds in order to effectively kill the virus and prevent further contagion.
(Production: Mindy Burrows)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None