Australian Grand Prix cancelled, Europe braces for more disruption as coronavirus takes holdRecord ID: 1463855
- Title: Australian Grand Prix cancelled, Europe braces for more disruption as coronavirus takes hold
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HAND DISINFECTANT BEING DISTRIBUTED IN A PHARMACY JOINVILLE-LE-PONT, FRANCE (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) PARENTS AND CHILDREN ARRIVING AT PRESCHOOL CHILD ARRIVING AT SCHOOL WITH HIS MOTHER AND ENTERING SIGN ON FRONT DOOR WARNING ABOUT CORONAVIRUS EXTERIOR OF SCHOOL CHILDREN ENTERING SCHOOL SCOOTERS WITH PARENTS AND CHILDREN OUTSIDE SCHOOL SIGN FOR SCHOOL CHILD ENTERING SCHOOL PARENT, JENNIFER TOURNAIRE, OUTSIDE SCHOOL (SOUNDBITE) (French) PARENT, JENNIFER TOURNAIRE, SAYING: "I'm a bit shocked, we weren't expecting this, and the children are in shock as well. My son was very worried, saw us worrying. So now we're waiting to see what our employers are planning because I think we might be forced to work from home and look after our children, so today and this weekend is going to be about organising ourselves, seeing with other parents, our partners, and maybe the grandparents, but we'll have to get used to it and see how we can manage. I think it's going to be complicated. And there's also the uncertainty, we don't know when schools will re-open, so it's all a bit confusing." MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) LONG QUEUE OF PASSENGERS AT CHECK IN COUNTER AMERICAN AIRLINES SIGN PASSENGER WEARING MASK PASSENGERS QUEUING AIRPORT SCREENS AIRPORT SCREEN SHOWING FLIGHT TO DALLAS (SOUNDBITE) (English) PASSENGER FROM TEXAS, LUCIE, SAYING: "Yes, I was supposed to come back in June and I came back today instead." VARIOUS OF SCREEN SHOWING INFORMATION FOR TRAVELLERS ARRIVING FROM CORONAVIRUS AFFECTED AREAS MOSCOW, RUSSIA (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MOSCOW TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT WORKERS CLEANING BUS VARIOUS OF WORKER WASHING BUS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) BUS DRIVER, AHMALETDINOV ARTUR, SAYING: "It is more about disinfection. Of course I take with me some kind of hands protection tools. And I am using this mask too, it protects." TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) MOTHER AND DAUGHTER ENTERING SCHOOL SCHOOL SIGN READING (Hebrew): "ARON SCHOOL." EXTERIOR OF SCHOOL MOTHER OF SIX-YEAR-OLD, AURORE PRESZOW AND DAUGHTER COMING OUT OF SCHOOL DAUGHTER OF PRESZOW PRESZPW AND HER DAUGHTER JAKARTA, INDONESIA (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORKER WITH PROTECTIVE SUIT SPRAYING IN FRONT OF JAMI' AL-MUNAWWAR MOSQUE FORMER INDONESIA VICE PRESIDENT, JUSUF KALLA, HEAD OF INDONESIA MOSQUE COUNCIL (DMI) INSPECTING DISINFECTING PROCESS (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia), HEAD OF DMI, JUSUF KALLA, SAYING: "This is such a big activity. We will be giving out 2 million litres of carbolic solution so we can reach 10,000 mosques in Indonesia." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PRAYING IN FRONT OF CARBOLIC SOLUTION VARIOUS MAN WEARING PROTECTIVE SUIT SPRAYING DISINFECTANT INSIDE MOSQUE VARIOUS MAN WEARING PROTECTIVE SUIT SPRAYING DISINFECTANT INSIDE WASHING ROOM BANGKOK, THAILAND (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) PRESIDENT & CEO OF SUPERRICH CURRENCY EXCHANGE COMPANY, PIYA TANTIVACHYANON OPENING BOX THAI AND JAPANESE BANKNOTES INSIDE BOX VARIOUS OF STAFF SPRAYING DISINFECTANT INTO BOX PIYA BRINGING BOX INTO MONEY COUNTING ROOM VARIOUS OF STAFF STACKING BANKNOTES IN MONEY COUNTING ROOM VARIOUS OF STAFF PACKING BANKNOTES INTO PLASTIC BAG AFTER DISINFECTANT MANILA, PHILIPPINES (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) CROWD QUEUING TO PURCHASE BUS TICKETS TO LEAVE THE CITY VARIOUS BUS CONDUCTOR RECEIVING PAYMENT FROM TRAVELLERS VARIOUS PASSENGERS ENTERING BUS PASSENGERS INSIDE BUS
- Keywords: Australia Grand Prix France Indonesia Israel Italy Philippines Russia Thailand coronavirus sport
- Reuters ID: LVA005C4VYUYV
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Various
- Duration: 00:07:22
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Editors' Choice
- Story Text: The Australian Formula One Grand Prix was scrapped and the Players Championship golf event halted on Friday (March 13) as the unprecedented shutdown of elite sport triggered by the coronavirus pandemic continued around the globe.
The coronavirus outbreak has left sporting bodies wrestling with the contradiction of holding events designed to bring large numbers of people together at a time when governments are desperate to stop the spread of a virus transmitted by close contact.
More events look likely to be affected in coming days.
In Italy, the worst affected country in Europe, the death toll passed 1,000 in Europe's deadliest outbreak and the government imposed a blanket closure of restaurants, bars and almost all shops except food stores and pharmacies.
In France, pharmacies distributed disinfectant and parents prepared for a nationwide shutdown of schools ahead of Monday's (March 16) closure of all nurseries, schools and universities in the country until further notice.
In Madrid, travellers rushed to board flights to the United States after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed sweeping restrictions on travel from the continent, a decision that angered European leaders and frightened investors.
Moscow transport agency unveiled new security measures, requiring authorities to clean metro cabins four times a day using fumigation agents.
Parents in Tel Aviv were also preparing for Monday's school closures.
Indonesia disinfected mosques and transport hubs. Former Indonesian vice president and head of the Indonesia Mosque Council, Jusuf Kalla, said 2 million litres were being distributed to disinfect 10,000 mosques around the archipelago.
He urged worshippers to bring their own prayer mats or a cloth to put their foreheads on when praying.
Thailand's Super Rich foreign exchange company disinfected both incoming Thai and foreign currency banknotes before the bills go back into circulation from their branches.
In the Philippine capital Manila, hundreds queued at a bus station hoping to beat a localised travel ban which includes the halt of domestic land, sea and air travels in the capital and community-based quarantine for villages affected by the coronavirus.
And on Thursday (March 12), a United States lawmaker questioned CDC Director Robert Redfield repeatedly on the affordability of coronavirus testing during a congressional hearing on the country's response to the coronavirus outbreak.
(Production: Angie Ramos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 11:56
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None