- Title: India deploys robots on trial basis to spread awareness on coronavirus
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (MARCH 13, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF ROBOT HOLDING TRAY WITH MASKS, NAPKINS AND PHOTO BEARING A HANDHSHAKE WITH GERM CELLS ON THE SKIN ROBOT WITH MASK ON ANOTHER ROBOT, SAYABOT, MOVING WITH SPONGE VARIOUS OF SAYABOT CLEANING DOOR HANDLE WITH SPONGE ROBOT MOVING WITH TRAY/MAN PICKING UP SANITIZER WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION CORONAVIRUS SAFETY VIDEO PLAYING ON ROBOT MAN PLACING THE SANITIZER BACK ON TRAY/ROBOT GIVING INFORMATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ROBOT, SAYABOT, SAYING: "Coronaviruses are large family of viruses which may cause illness in humans or animals. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East respiratory syndrome and severe acute respiratory syndrome. The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19." ROBOT MOVING FACE OF ROBOT WEARING MASK ROBOT MOVING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF ASIMOV ROBOTICS, JAYAKRISHNAN T, SAYING: "In spite of having a lot of information, people are taking it (coronavirus) lightly. Second thing is that there are lot of false information spreading through all these social media and all. Robots are there, they can provide accurate information 24x7, morning to evening, fatigueless. And as far as robots are concerned, they are actually crowd-pullers. So people will gather around the robot and we can very effectively communicate this to the public." ROBOT MOVING WITH TRAY ROBOT'S FACE
- Keywords: India Kerala Kochi awareness contagion coronavirus health robots virus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4VWK0F
- Location: KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA
- City: KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:02:39
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: A start-up firm in India's southern Kerala state has launched two robots to spread awareness about the fast-spreading coronavirus that has killed more than 4,000 people worldwide.
More than 134,500 people have been infected globally and over 4,900 have died, according to a Reuters tally of government announcements.
The robots, developed by Asimov Robotics, can be seen distributing face masks and sanitizers, giving information about the contagion and cleaning doors at a start-up complex in Kochi city.
"They are actually crowd-pullers. So people will gather around the robot and we can very effectively communicate this to the public," said Jayakrishnan T, the brains behind the robots.
The start-up is trying to put the robots into use at public places like airports and malls and have sought permission from authorities.
With just 74 confirmed cases of the virus and a single death, India, a country of 1.3 billion people, has so far fared better than elsewhere in Asia, Europe and North America.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 06:53
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None