- Title: Smithsonian museums close as coronavirus restrictions grow
- Date: 14th March 2020
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF YOUNG MAN DANCING IN FRONT OF CLOSED FREER GALLERY OF ART BELONGING TO THE SMITHSONIAN SIGN ANNOUNCING CLOSING OF SMITHSONIAN NATIONAL MUSEUM OF ASIAN ART PAN OF EXTERIOR OF FREER GALLERY YOUNG MAN READING HIS CELLPHONE AND SITTING ON STEPS OF MUSEUM POLICE OFFICER SITTING ON BICYCLE WOMAN LOOKING AT MAP OF NATIONAL MALL CLOSED SIGN ON CAROUSEL VARIOUS OF CAROUSEL MAN TAKING PHOTOGRAPH OF PEAR BLOSSOMS IN CLOSED PUBLIC GARDEN SIGN ANNOUNCING CLOSED PUBLIC GARDEN PEOPLE OUTSIDE GATE OF CLOSED PUBLIC GARDEN WOMAN PHOTOGRAPHING PEAR BLOSSOMS AT PUBLIC GARDEN WOMAN TAKING PHOTOGRAPH OF CLOSED NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART SIGN ANNOUNCING CLOSING OF NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART NATIONAL MALL WITH GATES UP AND WASHINGTON MONUMENT IN REAR VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING DOWN PATH ON MALL (SOUNDBITE) (English) PETER YOUNG, WASHINGTON, D.C. RESIDENT, SAYING: "It's a pity because I enjoy the weekends coming down here to visit the museums and galleries so it's a pity but I, I understand." WOMAN WALKING ACROSS MALL AND TAKING PHOTOGRAPH (SOUNDBITE) (English) VARUN SAXENA, WASHINGTON, D.C. RESIDENT, SAYING: "Yeah, I think it's a big issue and it's a problem. I mean, my mom's in India and I'm hoping that she can come home but overall, I support, I support the measures." MAN TAKING PHOTOGRAPH VARIOUS OF WOMEN WALKING UP TO SMITHSONIAN'S MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY, READING CLOSED SIGN AND TURNING AROUND TO LEAVE (SOUNDBITE) (English) LESLIE STEIN, ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA RESIDENT, SAYING: "I'm feeling maybe a little anxious but overall, knowing that this has to be done, I feel like you just have to go forward and stay the course and keep calm and carry on." JOURNALIST OFF-CAMERA: 'So what are your plans?' STEIN: "I'm working, continuing to work, I'll be working probably from home and just living my life to the best that I can." VARIOUS OF COUPLE TAKING SELFIE OUTSIDE SMITHSONIAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY FAMILY WITH BALLOONS SITTING ON MALL WITH CAPITOL IN REAR PEOPLE LYING ON GROUND ON NATIONAL MALL AND READING
- Keywords: Smithsonians closing coronavirus national mall tourists
- Reuters ID: LVA001C50XUFB
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:02:57
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:The Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C. closed their doors on Saturday (March 14) as cultural landmarks across the world shuttered to stop the quickly spreading coronavirus.
Flanked by the Capitol building and the Washington Monument, the many museums of the Smithsonian line the National Mall of the nation's capital.
The measures affect local residents and tourists alike as President Donald Trump announced travel restrictions blocking U.S. entry for most people from continental Europe. The travel bans have hammered airlines and travel companies worldwide, while financial markets have been hit by panic selling this week.
(Production: Tom Sampson and Arlene Eiras)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th March 2020 23:34
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None