- Title: Iraqi forces inspect aftermath of U.S. air strike on civilian airport
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: DAMAGED BUILDING SECURITY FORCES WALKING INSPECTING THE SITE VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDING, DEBRIS AND WRECKAGE
- Keywords: Iran-backed militia in Iraq Kerbala international airport Pentagon U.S. air strike
- Reuters ID: LVA003C4VZEPZ
- Location: KERBALA, IRAQ
- City: KERBALA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:00:23
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Story Text: Iraqi security personnel on Friday (March 13) inspected the aftermath of a deadly U.S. air strike on an airport under construction in the holy Shi'ite city of Kerbala.
Kerbala international airport construction site was hit by an air strike, the management of the Imam Hussein shrine said in a statement. A civilian construction worker was killed.
The airport's construction is being funded by the shrine management.
The United States said it carried out the series of strikes on Thursday (March 12) against an Iran-backed militia in Iraq that it blamed for a rocket attack a day earlier which killed two American troops and a British soldier.
The Pentagon said the strikes targeted five weapons stores used by Kataib Hezbollah militants, including facilities housing arms used in past attacks on U.S.-led coalition troops.
Iraq's military condemned the air strikes, saying they had killed six people and describing them as a violation of sovereignty and a targeted aggression against the nation's formal armed forces.
(Production: Ahmed Saeed, Maher Nazeh, Mohammed Katfan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 12:33
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None