- Title: The global spread of Coronavirus, infections surpass 125,000
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: GRAPHIC (JANUARY 1-MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) (MUTE) MAP SHOWING NUMBERS OF CASES OF CORONAVIRUS PER COUNTRY FROM JANUARY 1 TO MARCH 13, 2020 (DATA SOURCES: WHO, CDC, ECDC, NHC AND DXY)
- Keywords: COVID-19 China Coronavirus Wuhan global spread virus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4VZ96V
- Location: GRAPHIC
- City: GRAPHIC
- Country: Various
- Duration: 00:00:36
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Editors' Choice
- Story Text: The number of people infected with coronavirus topped 125,000 across the world as of Friday (March 13) and over 4,900 have died as the outbreak reached more countries and caused more economic damage.
The flu-like virus was first detected in the city of Wuhan late last year and has since spread to more than 90 countries.
But the spread of the virus at its epicentre in China's Hubei province has slowed markedly amid strict transport curbs on movement and lockdowns.
Just five new cases were reported on Friday in the provincial capital of Wuhan, where the virus was first detected in December, and no locally transmitted infections were reported in the rest of China.
A graphic created by Reuters illustrates the spread of the virus from the epicentre of Wuhan across the world from January 1 to March 13, 2020.
The data is collected from the World Health Organisation (WHO), along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), China's National Health Commission (NHC), and the Chinese medical community website DXY that combines data from China's NHC and CDC.
(Production: Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 11:34
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None