- Title: Parents prepare as Israel shuts down schools
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) MOTHER AND DAUGHTER ENTERING SCHOOL SCHOOL SIGN READING (Hebrew): " ARON SCHOOL." EXTERIOR OF SCHOOL MOTHER of SIX-YEAR-OLD, AURORE PRESZOW AND DAUGHTER COMING OUT OF SCHOOL DAUGHTER OF PRESZOW PRESZOW AND HER DAUGHTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) MOTHER of SIX-YEAR-OLD, AURORE PRESZOW, SAYING: "I understand the situation, I am really support, I am supporting the situation and I means it's at least what we can do and you know we need to be all together and think together, act together, in order to save lives, that's it. It is not about us anymore, it is about people so we just do what we need to do." PRESZOW AND DAUGHTER GETTING ON BICYCLE PRESZOW AND DAUGHTER LEAVING VIEW OF EMPTY PLAYGROUND IN SCHOOL PARENT, YUVAL DAFNA AND SON LEAVING SCHOOL, SHAKING HANDS WITH GUARD (SOUNDBITE) (English) PARENT, YUVAL DAFNA, SAYING: "So we came to take his books from school because we got a message that, you know, all the schools are canceled until after Passover. We came took the books and now we are heading home to learn from home." SCHOOL GUARD CLOSING GATE VARIOUS OF DAFNA AND HIS SON WALKING
- Keywords: Coronavirus Israel closure schools
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4VY8UF
- Location: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- City: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:02:01
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Parents in Israel were preparing on Friday (March 13) after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered most schools in the country closed as a precaution against coronavirus.
Primary and secondary schools, with some exceptions such as special education programs, would be closed, he said on Thursday (March 12).
"We are altering our internal routine in order to handle an outside threat, the threat of the virus," Netanyahu, 70, said in remarks broadcast live.
The latest measures follow a series of ever-stricter restrictions imposed by Israeli and the Palestinians.
Earlier this week Netanyahu ordered all visitors to Israel to self-isolate for two weeks, and the Allenby Bridge crossing between Jordan and the Israeli-occupied West Bank was closed in what Israeli officials said was a joint Palestinian, Israeli and Jordanian effort to stop the virus from spreading.
Israel's flag carrier El Al said on Thursday (March 12) it would start suspending most of its flights on Sunday but would maintain regular flight routes to the United States, Canada, England, France and South Africa.
The Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, which controls Gaza, said it would restrict travel with Egypt and Israel for all but the most urgent cases from Friday, and anyone entering Gaza would be put under "mandatory quarantine." It ordered schools and universities closed until the end of March.
(Production: Rami Amichay, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 09:35
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None