- Title: Mexico coronavirus fight gives students earlier, longer Easter vacations
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GENERAL OF NEWS CONFERENCE WITH MEXICAN HEALTH AND EDUCATION AUTHORITIES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EDUCATION MINISTER ESTEBAN MOCTEZUMA, SAYING: ''We will bring forward the school Easter holidays from; the last day of classes will be this Friday March 20 and we will return on April 20. We are talking about a break of 30 days, where we don't only want to protect girls, boys, teenagers and youngsters but also the whole community.'' GENERAL OF NEWS CONFERENCE VARIOUS OF SCHOOL EXTERIORS BANNER OF CORONAVIRUS PREVENTION MEASURES OUTSIDE SCHOOL CHILDREN LAYING IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) 30-YEAR-OLD EMPLOYEE MOTHER OF TWO, ANGELICA MORENO, SAYING: ''The measures that will be taken to bring forward the Easter holidays of the children will affect us because I work and I have to leave the children at home but I also think it's okay because drastic measures need to be taken. It's a virus that is hitting us globally.'' SCHOOL EXTERIOR BANNERS OF CORONAVIRUS PREVENTION MEASURES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) 44 YEAR-OLD EMPLOYEE FATHER OF ONE, CARLOS SOLORIO, SAYING: ''I feel the government is doing the right thing but they are reacting slightly slower than other countries. These measures had been taken a long time ago.'' CHILDREN PLAYING IN PLAYGROUND PARENTS OF CHILDREN LOOKING ON GIRL GOING DOWN SLIDE BOY ON SWING
- Keywords: Mexico classes coronavirus suspension
- Reuters ID: LVA001C50Y347
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Duration: 00:02:33
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: In Mexico 33 million students will head into earlier and longer Easter vacations at the end of next week after Education Minister Esteban Moctezuma on Saturday (March 14) announced measures to help avoid the spread of the coronavirus.
The health ministry said on Friday that the number of confirmed coronavirus cases had increased to 26 from 15 a day earlier. It has not confirmed any deaths from the fast-spreading virus.
Mexico's Easter vacations will start on Friday, March 20, and last for 30 days instead of 15, Moctezuma said. Other measures include additional education on hygiene and sanitation.
Some 153,025 people have been infected by the coronavirus across the world and 5,788 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
(Production: Roberto Ramirez, Carlos Carrillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 00:38
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None